Magellan GC not loading caches?

packerjim

I have a new computer with windows 8 and I`m not able to click on a cache and send it to my Magellan GC . On the old computer I had no problem, I`ve loaded quite a few . I`ve down loaded the Magellan Communicator several times on this new computer . When I click on a cache (send to GPS) it keeps saying Magellan Communicator not found. I can`t figure what`s wrong here????????????

More than likely, your GC is not to fault...

If you are using the latest version of IE, there are many reports of it not working so well with different aspects of geocaching (site actions). It could well be that it doesn't like "Send to GPS", either.

Firefox browser most always seems to cure it -- well, it doesn't cure IE itself, it just works much better than IE. :)

hi.. i am packerjim's daughter, and i am trying to help him with his problem... i installed firefox this morning, and we are still having the same problem. i have gotten to the point where after i click "send to gps," the little box where i chose magellan as my gps comes up and says "magellan communicator found" (it only used to say not found...so this seems like progress?) but then it says, "Having issues?" and it gives me a link to download it again...which i don't think i need to do... and has a button to "check device"...but that doesn't seem to do anything.

i installed the latest version of firefox and it hasn't changed anything. same results.

Sic Semper Tyrannis... my dad isn't a premium member, so can he still use Magellan's Vantage Point program? If you have time, can you please explain more about this?

does anyone have any more ideas?

thanks!!!!

Sic Semper Tyrannis... my dad isn't a premium member, so can he still use Magellan's Vantage Point program? If you have time, can you please explain more about this?

Might I suggest this since your Dad isn't a premium member. Firefox makes an excellent addon called gpx downloader

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/geocachingcom-gpx-downloader/

Put this addon to Firefox. Then every time you see a cache you like, chick on the geocache icon in your toolbar and it will download in the gpx format. Then copy the file to your Explorist GC.

You can also use EasyGPS to save a loc file and then convert it to a gpx file, although it will only contain basic data for the cache. Then use EasyGPS to send to your GC unit or VantagePoint. I don't think VantagePoint recognizes the loc format directly.

You could also try to reinstall Magellan communicator (don't see the harm) when prompted. Also check your addons for Firefox to make sure Magellan's addon is enabled.

Hope this helps.....