New to this in searching in circles about FTF coin.

NarutoN5TravelnMnkys

My family and I have recently caught the geocacheing bug! After finding a few ourselves we have decided to try our first hide. We ordered a kit from the site that included a FTF signal coin. I've been looking everywhere to find out what to do with it. And haven't been able to find an answer. Not sure if I am even posting this in the right location. I noticed there's a line for the activation code. Am I supposed to activate this or does the person who finds it activates it? I thought it was just meant to be a prize, so I bought several bugs for traveling, and plan on placing one in this cache. Thank you for your time and help.

Ranger Roo has it right. You should leave it unactivated -- you are treating it as SWAG, more or less.

You can activate it, then adopt it out to the FTF, but it is nearly senseless maneuvering. The first person that finds the cache is FTF and they will most likely take it.

We would place it in a standard white envelope and so note on the exterior that it is an FTF prize.

Since you are a newer cacher another options is to do what I did. I purchased a Signal FTF coin and it only visits caches that I can claim FTF. I then linked it to my profile page. Now I have a permanent record of all my FTFs. Whenever I dip it into a new cache, it's fun to go back and look at some of my other FTFs.

Hi Jessica and welcome to the forums. There are some topics pinned at the top of the Geocoin Discussions forum area which contain most of the information you'll need, and they contain links to the Geocoins/Trackable Knowledgebook.

Ranger Roo and Gitchee-Gummee don't quite have it right...

It is your coin (you purchased it), therefore it is entirely up to you as to whether you leave it unactivated as a FTF prize for your cache, leave it as swag, or if you activate it yourself and send it traveling.

BUT - the most important thing is to clearly label the coin as to what your intentions are for it.

If you are leaving it as an unactivated FTF prize then make sure you leave a note with it stating that it is the FTF prize and that the person who gets it is free to do with it as they please.

If you are leaving it as swag, then again, clearly label it as such and the if someone takes it as swag then they are expected to leave something similar in its place. (Good luck with that happening)

If you are activating it to go traveling, label as such with a note of its mission and asking people to move it along.

One of the biggest points of confusion out there (especially with new geocachers, but happens to all of us) is finding unactivated coins in a cache, with no note and the finder having no idea if they are allowed to take it, if they can activate it or if they should be trading for it. Please clearly label your coins as to your intentions for it. :)

Edited by keewee