How do I get notified when a GeoCoin comes into my area?

robby4570

Hi, I was too late to get a Minelab Geocoin, but I want to participate in the event. Is there any way to get notified when one of the Minelab Geocoins comes into my area? Apparently there are hundreds of them out there, and it's too difficult to watch all of them. I'm currently just a basic member if that makes a difference...

Thanks in advance

one way that might work for you is to use a pocket query

(requires premium membership)

you could run one centered on your home coordinates, and asking for only geocaches that indicate that there are trackables in them

you would then need to scroll through the results, looking for the trackable type that interests you

if what you are after is the only trackable listed as being in the geocache, it will show the icon for that trackable - if there are multiple trackables listed as being in the geocache, then the icon will only indicate this, and you will need to click through to the geocache page to see what is there

plus, this is not exactly automatic

you could schedule the same query to run once per day

the website will then run it at a time of its choosing

or you could manually do the pocket query "on demand"

note also that there are timing issues

someone could visit the geocache and retrieve the trackable, and you would not get notified

(meaning that it might be gone by the time that you got there)

If you have a watchlist, have at it. I believe that you can use that and get notifications -- ALL of them, not just when they come into "your" area.

Other than that, no way I know of....

I was afraid of that. There really could be some better search options.... Thanks

one way that might work for you is to use a pocket query

(requires premium membership)

you could run one centered on your home coordinates, and asking for only geocaches that indicate that there are trackables in them

you would then need to scroll through the results, looking for the trackable type that interests you

if what you are after is the only trackable listed as being in the geocache, it will show the icon for that trackable - if there are multiple trackables listed as being in the geocache, then the icon will only indicate this, and you will need to click through to the geocache page to see what is there

plus, this is not exactly automatic

you could schedule the same query to run once per day

the website will then run it at a time of its choosing

or you could manually do the pocket query "on demand"

note also that there are timing issues

someone could visit the geocache and retrieve the trackable, and you would not get notified

(meaning that it might be gone by the time that you got there)

I can't afford a Premium Membership right now, just got laid off right before Christmas, but it sounds like I wouldn't get the results I am looking for even with a Prem. Mbr. anyway.... Thanks

Start your search here: Minelab

On that page is a link to see movements of the coins, Then search the list & map (currently 69 pages) for ones in your area.

Other above suggestions will also do the job....maybe even better. :)

Already did this. It's way too tedious and cumbersome this way. Also, I am a basic member and only get 100 items on my watchlist and there is apparently a lot more than a hundred of these coins.

What I need is a way to search for "Where are these coins at right now?" I guess

Thanks anyway