Deleting a Travel Bug?

iplay

I was working on cleaning up the TB inventory today; several years ago, two travel bugs went missing and I posted notes, contacted the last cacher who had the TB, etc. Four years later, the TBs are still missing. What is the process for removing the TB completely? I'd like to re-use the tracking number, but it would be a completely different TB and not a replacement for the one still "on the road." Does anyone know the process? If not, I guess the only option is to just reuse the number and edit the TB's page?

Be very careful about deleting cachers logs, if you delete the TB's logs!

TB's can't be Archived.

They can be moved to 'Unknown Locaton'

If you re-use the TB number you will still have the logs from the previous TB...

Deleting logs will reduce the number of TB's a cacher will have Found/Discovered, so be VERY careful of deleting logs if you send the TB tag/number out again.

Nothing wrong with stating on the TB page that the TB has re-started it's travels, after the previous TB reached xxx miles before going missing.

Mark it missing, if you haven't already.

Use the tracking number again on a new item. On the trackable page, explain that this is re-release of a long missing trackable, and start again. Don't erase anything.

I've got a couple like that - I just marked the 3rd release of bug missing. It was in ammo can cache that burnt so hot that the aluminum tag and all is gone...

I'll release it again at some point, but all the old stuff stays.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=62990

I just found a TB tagin an ammo can. Just the tag, no attachment. When I went to log it, the owner had decided to release a copy....;-) well over 2 years since the last log on the thing. It was supposed to be in a different cache.

I'm waiting to hear back from them about what, if anything, they want me to with the original tag.

This is the way of trackables.

heck it wouldn't surprise me if one or the other of the versions of my TB linked above resurfaced.

Edited by Isonzo Karst