What to do about challenge caches that don't meet guidelines

M4ISU

I have been caching just short of a full year with about 1,600 finds; as I log more finds I see I am eligible for more challenges so I'm starting to seek them out. I have noticed several in my area that do not meet the guidelines to challenge caches - they specify a certain percentage of a certain size or a certain D/T rating be maintained by the finder to log. I'm curious what others have done; do you E-mail the owner pointing out the guidelines, or just ignore it ?

I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to...

Are you referring to PUZZLE cache challenges? If yes.... I'm going to guess... When they were published, they met the guidelines. But since they were published, the guidelines changed. These caches are 'grandfathered in' and will stay intact until they are archived.

I have been caching just short of a full year with about 1,600 finds; as I log more finds I see I am eligible for more challenges so I'm starting to seek them out. I have noticed several in my area that do not meet the guidelines to challenge caches - they specify a certain percentage of a certain size or a certain D/T rating be maintained by the finder to log. I'm curious what others have done; do you E-mail the owner pointing out the guidelines, or just ignore it ?

The Challenge Cache Guidelines were updated 3/20/12. If the Challenge Caches you're asking about were published prior to that date, they are grandfathered.

Help Center → Geocaching → Review Process: Hiding a Geocache

4.15. Challenge Caches

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=206

B.

Yes - the one's I have seen would have been pubished before the guidelines - so I'll just ignore them. I am curious if anone had that happen on a new challenge, would you E-mail or just ignore ?

Thx for the prompt replies

If they don't follow the newer Guidelines they wouldn't get published by the local Reviewer.

Yes - the one's I have seen would have been pubished before the guidelines - so I'll just ignore them. I am curious if anone had that happen on a new challenge, would you E-mail or just ignore ?

Thx for the prompt replies

If they don't follow the newer Guidelines they wouldn't get published by the local Reviewer.

Reviewers make mistakes.

Cache owners change things on the cache page after they're published.

Just two reason why you might see a newer challenge cache that was published and doesn't meet the current guidelines.

#6 in the guidelines is the one that refers to %. Until recently the guideline indicated that you should not be requiring a % of a certain cache type, thereby forcing cachers to avoid certain types. Cache types means, multis or puzzles, or traditionals or webcams, etc. Now the guideline does not mention cache type and could perhaps be interpreted to mean that you cannot be requiring % of a certain cache size.

It now states

6.One should not have to 'give up' finding other caches to achieve a challenge cache's requirements. To state that "10% of your find count needs to be Attended Logs" would require the geocacher to stop finding other types of caches and could affect their overall enjoyment of the game.