Maps with Paths

Redroost

Please can the maps used in the android geocaching app include pathways as they are in the ipad version?

It’s extremely difficult to navigate to caches without.

Seriously? I would imagine that only a small fraction of geocachers have ever tried to to find a cache using maps with pathways, yet there a quite a few that have managed to find 10's of thousands of them. For a long time people found caches without using any sort of map at all.

Zooming in as far as possible on the satellite image will usually show the trail network.

That very much depends on the type of terrain. Here's an example:

-Google Maps: Can you pick out the trails in Mount Douglas Park? Sure, you may be able to pick out a few, but only in the more open areas.

-OpenStreetMap: Oh, there they are!

And good luck spotting these trails on the satellite image!

At least in this region, there is a lot of greenspace interspersed among the built-up areas. Many times it isn't clear where the access points are. Maps with the trails can tell you this. I use OpenStreetMaps with these trails on my Garmin Oregon, and I actively map out trails to add to OpenStreetMap.

I don't see why anyone should be belittling others for wanting to use such a resource. If it's available, what's wrong with wanting to use it?