FS: Garmin GPSMAP 76 -- UPDATE: SOLD!

UPDATE 3/14/02: THIS RECEIVER HAS SOLD! THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST!

I'm selling my trusty Garmin GPSMAP 76 GPS receiver. There are a couple of tiny scuffs near the top where it rubbed against the RAM Mount cradle, but it is otherwise mint. Included with the unit are the PC interface cable, wrist strap, owner's manual and quick start guide, all in the original box.

Visit http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap76/ for more information on this GPS unit.

Asking price is $225 + shipping.

24_700.gif

[This message was edited by Moun10Bike on March 14, 2002 at 10:13 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by mcb:

You wouldn't be going for a GPSMAP 76s would you.

How did you guess? icon_smile.gif Actually, I'm thinking of either the 76s, or a Rino 120 for use with the group of people with whom I bike and snowmobile. The problem with the Rino idea is that we already use Motorola TalkAbouts, and I doubt that any of the rest of them will be buying new radios anytime soon. The Rino won't be nearly as fun without having someone else around using one!

24_700.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mcb:

You wouldn't be going for a GPSMAP 76s would you.

How did you guess? icon_smile.gif Actually, I'm thinking of either the 76s, or a Rino 120 for use with the group of people with whom I bike and snowmobile. The problem with the Rino idea is that we already use Motorola TalkAbouts, and I doubt that any of the rest of them will be buying new radios anytime soon. The Rino won't be nearly as fun without having someone else around using one!

24_700.gif

Artful, you'll love the V! That is my receiver of preference now. One reason I wonder if I will replace the GPSMap 76 is that I've become so attached to the routing features of the V.

One benefit I see for me of getting a GPSMap 76s to complement my V is for biking and snowmobiling. These are activities that generally don't follow roads, so the routing is not a needed feature there, plus the larger screen is easier to see in these uses. In addition, the greater map capacity means that I can upload a much larger swath of topo maps.

24_700.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Artful Dodger:

Let me know if you sell yours - perhaps I might be tempted to sell mine to any latecomers icon_cool.gif

Dodger, keep me in mind if you do! I've used my friend's V alot, and while its great, its just not as rugged as my GPS76. Fine for in the car or caching, but I would be leary of mounting it to the handlebars of my waverunner.

If I had a cache find for every time I've kicked myself in the *** for not spending the extra $100 for the MAP76, I'd be higher up the list then Stayfloopy! Besides, it would give me incentive to hit some of those great sounding caches you got up your way.

Illegitimus non carborundum!

quote:
Originally posted by The Artful Dodger:

Let me know if you sell yours - perhaps I might be tempted to sell mine to any latecomers icon_cool.gif

Dodger, keep me in mind if you do! I've used my friend's V alot, and while its great, its just not as rugged as my GPS76. Fine for in the car or caching, but I would be leary of mounting it to the handlebars of my waverunner.

If I had a cache find for every time I've kicked myself in the *** for not spending the extra $100 for the MAP76, I'd be higher up the list then Stayfloopy! Besides, it would give me incentive to hit some of those great sounding caches you got up your way.

Illegitimus non carborundum!

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

I've used my friend's V alot, and while its great, its just not as rugged as my GPS76. Fine for in the car or caching, but I would be leary of mounting it to the handlebars of my waverunner.

Don't sell the GPS V short!

I have a dent in the dash of my snowmobile from where it rolled over and my GPS III+ got pinched between it and the windscreen. The Garmin was completely unaffected -- not even a scratch!

I also wiped out a couple of times on my mountain bike with the GPS III+ attached, and it never showed any damage.

I haven't had any such accidents with my GPS V (must be getting old icon_smile.gif), but it's the same body style. The GPSMap 76 is definitely more rugged for the fact that it lacks the external swing antenna, but I've been surprised at just how rugged the GPS II/II+/III/III+/V is!

24_700.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

I've used my friend's V alot, and while its great, its just not as rugged as my GPS76. Fine for in the car or caching, but I would be leary of mounting it to the handlebars of my waverunner.

Don't sell the GPS V short!

I have a dent in the dash of my snowmobile from where it rolled over and my GPS III+ got pinched between it and the windscreen. The Garmin was completely unaffected -- not even a scratch!

I also wiped out a couple of times on my mountain bike with the GPS III+ attached, and it never showed any damage.

I haven't had any such accidents with my GPS V (must be getting old icon_smile.gif), but it's the same body style. The GPSMap 76 is definitely more rugged for the fact that it lacks the external swing antenna, but I've been surprised at just how rugged the GPS II/II+/III/III+/V is!

24_700.gif

I will probably sell mine in a few weeks time after I return from placing my underwater scuba cache in the Bahamas....

With regards to screen protection, I bought a scratch-free clear plastic shield from a scuba shop that is used for Dive Computers. I placed this shield on my MAP76 screen .... and NOT ONE SCRATCH icon_biggrin.gif

If anyone wants the dive shop contact details, email me.

AD

9929_700.jpg

I will probably sell mine in a few weeks time after I return from placing my underwater scuba cache in the Bahamas....

With regards to screen protection, I bought a scratch-free clear plastic shield from a scuba shop that is used for Dive Computers. I placed this shield on my MAP76 screen .... and NOT ONE SCRATCH icon_biggrin.gif

If anyone wants the dive shop contact details, email me.

AD

9929_700.jpg