where do I find d/t guidlines?

Maconb

The reason I ask is because I was going to hide a cache and I didn't know what to put as the D/T. It isn't a long hight but there is a tree that has to be climbed. Basically its a tree limb that juts out over the water. So you would have to shimmy down the limb in order to get the bison tube. You would park 30' feet from the cache and the limb would only be one step up from the ground. but then you would have to go down that limb about 10 feet. I know its hard without seeing it and each place ranks there caches differently but I was just wondering what is your opinion on the D/T... thanks

The reason I ask is because I was going to hide a cache and I didn't know what to put as the D/T. It isn't a long hight but there is a tree that has to be climbed. Basically its a tree limb that juts out over the water. So you would have to shimmy down the limb in order to get the bison tube. You would park 30' feet from the cache and the limb would only be one step up from the ground. but then you would have to go down that limb about 10 feet. I know its hard without seeing it and each place ranks there caches differently but I was just wondering what is your opinion on the D/T... thanks

I think I'd want to know how deep, and how fast is that water before offering an opinion! :D

MrsB

To me, the guidelines aren't very important in this case. I'd be expecting the terrain rating to confirm that, yes, I really had to climb out on that limb over that water, so I'd be expecting something like a T3 from what you describe, perhaps more if there's a serious possibility of falling in. You might want to factor in how much harder it will be in wet weather with muddy shoes.

Difficulty's a little harder to judge from here, but I'd say somewhere between D1.5 if you can see the cache from solid ground before your start shimmying, up to D3 if after you go out there, you still have to search for it.

By the way, I've run into a branch shimmy or two where I was a little worried about the branch. It's one thing for a branch to be the occasional play structure for kids, but putting a cache there makes the traffic average about twice as heavy, and might increase the rate people go out there significantly if it's popular. So consider whether that branch will really stand up to that traffic.