Lost TB's and Archived Caches

I recently found a cache that had been archived purely by chance whilst searching for a live one (which I did eventually find). Contained in the cache was a TB that had lain dormant for months as the cache had obviously been archived without physically removing it from it's resting place. I emailed the owner, much to his delight, and sent the TB back on it's travels. Following this I tried to run a pocket query searching for archived caches that contain TB's etc, but archived caches isn't one of the options. I know you can search on TB rescue, but this relies on the owner uploading the details. I asked geocaching.com if they could enable archived caches to be searchable, but they declined, so I asked them if they would run a query and send me the results. that was over a month ago, and despite a couple of gentle reminders, I haven't heard anything back. Does anyone have any ideas how I can go about finding these lost TB's?

Thank you all in advance.

Jason

I recently found a cache that had been archived purely by chance whilst searching for a live one (which I did eventually find). Contained in the cache was a TB that had lain dormant for months as the cache had obviously been archived without physically removing it from it's resting place. I emailed the owner, much to his delight, and sent the TB back on it's travels. Following this I tried to run a pocket query searching for archived caches that contain TB's etc, but archived caches isn't one of the options. I know you can search on TB rescue, but this relies on the owner uploading the details. I asked geocaching.com if they could enable archived caches to be searchable, but they declined, so I asked them if they would run a query and send me the results. that was over a month ago, and despite a couple of gentle reminders, I haven't heard anything back. Does anyone have any ideas how I can go about finding these lost TB's?

Jason

Hi Jason, good to hear from you (Plymouth this summer). I keep a pretty much up to date GSAK db for the whole country, and it has archived caches for about the last year but not before. I just ran a query on that and came up with 1483 archived caches with TBs in them. I think this won't be as reliable as a proper query would be, because it takes a month to update my entire db, and archiving has to be on the basis of not being refreshed for a complete cycle. There is scope for TB activity to take place which my capture never sees.

Nevertheless, I can send you a list of GC codes if you wish.

Won't be responding until tomorrow evening - very early start in the morning, going to the quarries and caves at Bath, for about the 10th time :-)))

Rgds, Andy

It sounds like the ability to find archived caches containing TBs would be a useful feature to add to the site, so those inclined could check caches and recover TBs if they were so inclined. Obviously a lot of caches get archived because they go missing and are never replaced, but if people know they are looking for something that probably isn't there then it would get all those lost TBs back into circulation.

For a time it seemed caching was increasingly about an ever-growing list of trackable icons whereas now it seems quite unusual to find a trackable in a cache. That alone seems a shame, so anything that helps keep trackables moving would seem like a good idea.

........ I keep a pretty much up to date GSAK db for the whole country, and it has archived caches for about the last year but not before. I just ran a query on that and came up with 1483 archived caches with TBs in them. I think this won't be as reliable as a proper query would be, because it takes a month to update my entire db, and archiving has to be on the basis of not being refreshed for a complete cycle. There is scope for TB activity to take place which my capture never sees.

Won't be responding until tomorrow evening - very early start in the morning, going to the quarries and caves at Bath, for about the 10th time :-)))

Rgds, Andy

My GSAK database of archived caches contains 51,300 caches of which just over 5,500 contained T/Bs or Geocoins when they were archived. Of those 5,500 caches, almost 1000 were event caches of one sort or another (ordinary event, mega event or CITO event). It's unlikely that all those travellers are lying on pub floors somewhere so it means that in all likelihood, they were taken by an event attendee and just never seen again. That's probably why I groan a little whenever one of my travellers is dropped off in an event. :(

Edited by Pharisee

Jason

Hi Jason, good to hear from you (Plymouth this summer). I keep a pretty much up to date GSAK db for the whole country, and it has archived caches for about the last year but not before. I just ran a query on that and came up with 1483 archived caches with TBs in them. I think this won't be as reliable as a proper query would be, because it takes a month to update my entire db, and archiving has to be on the basis of not being refreshed for a complete cycle. There is scope for TB activity to take place which my capture never sees.

Rgds, Andy