GPS w/ 2way Radio?

CominInHot

Just found the new addiction last weekend. Looking to purchase a GPS but would like the 2 way radio also. I've found the Garmin Rino 650 which seems to have everything. I was wondering what geocachers thought of this or specifically this model? Any other models/brands anyone would recommend? I'd like to avoid spending $500 :)

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=146&pID=82798 -Garmin Rino 650

I never used the Rino so can't comment on whether it's any good. The places I like to hike are known for having little to no cellphone coverage - on the ridges you can usually get a good signal but you don't have to go very far down either side before it disappears completely. I looked at getting a Rino so I could call for help using a phone or radio depending on what worked, but then figured there was no point having a Montana and a Rino so looked at stand-alone two-way radios. In the end I decided to do neither and just be careful not get into trouble in the first place.

Seriously, if I didn't already have a Montana I'd be looking at a Rino with some interest. It seems convenient to have a GPS and radio in one unit, as long as you take enough batteries so you don't find yourself unable to find where you are or call for help. I have no idea what the battery life of the Rino would be.

The only thing these radios require is that someone else has one as well, is on the same frequency and is relatively close. There's no stand by operator. It's just an expanded range walkie-talkie.

Which is fine if you need to coordinate with people a couple miles away. Is that how you cache?

The only thing these radios require is that someone else has one as well, is on the same frequency and is relatively close. There's no stand by operator. It's just an expanded range walkie-talkie.

Which is fine if you need to coordinate with people a couple miles away. Is that how you cache?

I always thought they would be good for use during hunting season. We have a local channel on the GMRS radios. I even keep my Police scanner tuned to the frequency, and for safty issues in one of the local ATV parks they have a designated channle. I would love to have a pair, but not for geocaching. :laughing:

I always thought they would be good for use during hunting season. We have a local channel on the GMRS radios. I even keep my Police scanner tuned to the frequency, and for safty issues in one of the local ATV parks they have a designated channle. I would love to have a pair, but not for geocaching. :laughing:

Completely agree. The radios are great when you need them. Just not the gps/radio combination. Totally cheaper buying them separately.

Completely agree. The radios are great when you need them. Just not the gps/radio combination. Totally cheaper buying them separately.

Cheaper separately, but then they don't track your hunting buddy on the map, which the Rino does. You can also send short text messages between them. And the voice communications still works with other FRS/GMRS radios.

No stand by operator waiting to take your call, but easy enough to equip someone within about 20 miles with another radio (or even another Rino if you feel like dropping the cash). That way if you get into trouble you can radio for help and your buddy can pinpoint exactly where you are on the map. Or you can radio for help and if someone does answer you can tell them exactly where you are (you can do that just as well with two devices, but if you're into carrying one device that does everything in one unit the Rino seems like an obvious solution)

Cheaper separately, but then they don't track your hunting buddy on the map, which the Rino does. You can also send short text messages between them. And the voice communications still works with other FRS/GMRS radios.

That is the distinct advantage of the Rinos. If you only have one I think it's better to get separate GPS and radios. If someone else in your party has one, they allow you to keep track quite well.

I have two Rino 650s in addition to a 62S. If I had no need to communicate I would take the 62S. When I'm hunting with someone else I take the Rinos so we can not only communicate but know where each other is.