How do PMO caches get logged with no record on the audit log?

Bunya

I have a question which may have been answered before, but I’m new to having PMO caches.

What I’ve noticed is that sometimes a PM finder will place a “found” log on a cache and their caching name does not show up on the audit list.

How can this happen?

What I’ve noticed is that sometimes a PM finder will place a “found” log on a cache and their caching name does not show up on the audit list.

The audit log is pretty much meaningless these days. There are multiple ways to access/log a cache without ever visiting the cache page, and thus not showing up in the audit log:

-Smartphone app

-3rd party software using the API (like GSAK)

-Pocket Queries

-Like Potato Finder said, going straight to the logging page (geocachingadmin.com is a quick way to do this)

I have a question which may have been answered before, but I’m new to having PMO caches.

How can this happen?

1. Go straight to the log page.

2. Use the api with a smartphone app.

3. Use the api through GSAK

4. Upload field notes from your GPSr to the website.

All bypass the cache description page which is what is actually being audited.

I use the 3rd party software using the API (GSAK). Its faster once I get home and boom, its logged.

I tend to do this to get around all PMO caches, I just feel PMO cache owners doesnt need to know everything. In Oregon, 10.1% caches are PMO. I feel it really annoying at time.

Edited by SwineFlew

I use the 3rd party software using the API (GSAK). Its faster once I get home and boom, its logged.

I tend to do this to get around all PMO caches, I just feel PMO cache owners doesnt need to know everything. In Oregon, 10.1% caches are PMO. I feel it really annoying at time.

I, and a number of other local cachers, only started using PMO because we had considerable trouble recently with cache vandals.

We hoped making all our caches PMO might help stop this.

I, and a number of other local cachers, only started using PMO because we had considerable trouble recently with cache vandals.

Really, the audit log is really a joke. Its like wings on a bird that cant fly. It hold no proof if that person was messing with your caches. Don't assume anything of what you see on the audit logs. Its really worthless because people can still see your cache pages via API.

I find some PMO caches disappear faster than caches that arent PMO. Its all about where the cache is located.

Really, the audit log is really a joke. Its like wings on a bird that cant fly. It hold no proof if that person was messing with your caches. Don't assume anything of what you see on the audit logs. Its really worthless because people can still see your cache pages via API.

I find some PMO caches disappear faster than caches that arent PMO. Its all about where the cache is located.

Where did they say that they made their caches PMO because of the audit log? I took it to mean that they did it to keep basic members, or people that aren't members at all from seeing where their caches are located. That is the only reason that I make my caches PMO. You really need to get past this idea that everyone that makes a cache PMO does it because they want to spy on people. I don't even remember that I have an audit log until someone brings it up in the forum. It is that unimportant to me. I'm sure that once most people get over the novelty of it, they pretty much forget about it. It was neat the first time I looked at one. Kind of boring the next.

Where did they say that they made their caches PMO because of the audit log? I took it to mean that they did it to keep basic members, or people that aren't members at all from seeing where their caches are located. That is the only reason that I make my caches PMO. You really need to get past this idea that everyone that makes a cache PMO does it because they want to spy on people. I don't even remember that I have an audit log until someone brings it up in the forum. It is that unimportant to me. I'm sure that once most people get over the novelty of it, they pretty much forget about it. It was neat the first time I looked at one. Kind of boring the next.

You're right Don_J - we hoped our caches would be less "visible" if PMO.

I only made my OP about the audit log because I was puzzled about what it showed.

I've run stats on PMO v not PMO in Florida a couple of times.

PMO caches do have better survival rates. Particularly among low D/T traditional caches.

I assume this is because it keeps them out of phones of non-members, out of GeoMate (though that's not much of an issue any more), and out of reach of the many who create an account, find 5 - 15 caches and lose interest.

The audit log is mildly interesting. The person who shows up the most on the audit logs of my caches is me, by a landslide ;-) The FTF tends to look at the cache a lot in the first week or so, before and after finding. Otherwise, all kinds of people who are never going to hunt the cache are there. And as the OP has found, people who never show up on the audit page log finds. Get cache in PQ or by phone, log direct from the logging page via one of a number of routes.

You're right Don_J - we hoped our caches would be less "visible" if PMO.

I only made my OP about the audit log because I was puzzled about what it showed.

Actually, I own an apology to Swineflew. I didn't realize that the post he was commenting on was made by the OP. I can understand why he focused on the audit log and not the other (debatable) benefits of a PMO cache.