Geocoin Confusion :/

AA15

Hi folks,

we were wondering if there are some kind souls out there who could help us out with a Geocoin that we have found....

When we found it we thought we would drop it off in the next appropriately sized cache that we found. This didn't happen, we kept finding small ones. (now I have gotten to grips with the cache size key I can see that was our own fault!) :blink:

So I got to looking at the forums and have seen that there is a time limit for having it in your possesion, of two weeks? (or is this for travel bugs only? - here starts the confusion) :huh: As I really dont want to end up doing the wrong thing by the owner.

I have logged its visits at caches we have found since, however I have recently seen there is a collectible side to the coins, and poeple keep hold of them? So do I let it go back into the geocache world? Or keep it for swapping etc? (I feel there is a whole other side to geocaching I have yet to discover!!)

This is probably all very clearly written somewhere in this forum however I am just confusing myself further with every post I read, so if someone has 5 mins to just go over the basics we would be very grateful...

thanks in advance B)

If you found it in a cache it is for traveling, you cannot keep it or trade it since it doesn't belong to you but the owner that released it. The two week time limit is to keep folks from holding on to a bug or coin for two long. You have been traveling it and will find a cache soon that it will fit in or you can always revisit a cache you have found before that you know the coin will fit in and write a note and drop the coin.

Hi folks,

we were wondering if there are some kind souls out there who could help us out with a Geocoin that we have found....

When we found it we thought we would drop it off in the next appropriately sized cache that we found. This didn't happen, we kept finding small ones. (now I have gotten to grips with the cache size key I can see that was our own fault!) :blink:

So I got to looking at the forums and have seen that there is a time limit for having it in your possesion, of two weeks? (or is this for travel bugs only? - here starts the confusion) :huh: As I really dont want to end up doing the wrong thing by the owner.

I have logged its visits at caches we have found since, however I have recently seen there is a collectible side to the coins, and poeple keep hold of them? So do I let it go back into the geocache world? Or keep it for swapping etc? (I feel there is a whole other side to geocaching I have yet to discover!!)

This is probably all very clearly written somewhere in this forum however I am just confusing myself further with every post I read, so if someone has 5 mins to just go over the basics we would be very grateful...

thanks in advance B)

If there's a reason you can't place it into a cache, it's good to state the reason in the TB log. If it's visiting caches, some TB owners love stories and photos of the places it's visiting.

You can buy Geocoins new to keep. It is very unusual that a Geocoin in a cache is one that you may keep. It would typically be unactivated, be still in its original package, and have a note that you may trade and/or keep it. Trackables (TBs and Geocoins) are intended to be something that's fun to find, but they are intended to dropped off in a cache, and continue to travel.

What you've done so far is fine - You haven't found a good cache to drop it off yet but you've given it visits to a few other caches so the owner knows it's still moving...

In practice, the idea of a two weeks time limit is very flexible: Many cachers don't even know about this "ideal limit" and many keep trackables (geocoins and travel bugs) far longer than two weeks. Think of it more in terms of giving it some sort of log every two/three weeks - either a Visit log (as you've been doing), or maybe just a Note log to let the owner know it's still safe. If you can add a line of detail, or a photograph, to the Visit logs it makes the journey more interesting for the owner to read.

As Fossillady has said, this geocoin has an owner who has released it to travel so, no, you shouldn't keep it. The cachers who collect geocoins buy them from geocoin designers/producers or else they trade their own geocoins for others - They don't keep the ones they find in caches.

Hope that helps a bit. :)

MrsB

Thank you everybody!

That's good then, I'm glad we haven't accidentally diverted it's intended journey! We have added the odd picture to some that it 'visited' and written a little note so I think it has been ok.

Now I will look for a big enough cache to release it!! :D

Really enjoying our first few months geocaching - bit of a learning curve but fun along the way...

Thanks again every one :rolleyes:

AA15

(now I have gotten to grips with the cache size key I can see that was our own fault!) :blink:

No, not really your fault at all. "Micro", the smallest cache size, can still be large enough to drop a coin. So from the size alone, there's no reason for you to assume the cache is too small. On the other hand, now that you've found the size, you can use it to target larger caches that will be more likely to able to hold it.