Acronym for a trackable

Mick McPhee

TB is the short name for travel bug. But shouldn't that term just refer to the trackable with the bug symbol? Stores use travel bugs as one category and trackables as another. I was wondering if when logging a cache we couldn't use TKBL for trackable and TB for the bug trackable?

IMHO.... TB is for anything trackable. We don't need another acronym. Why not just write out what you mean?

TB is the short name for travel bug. But shouldn't that term just refer to the trackable with the bug symbol? Stores use travel bugs as one category and trackables as another. I was wondering if when logging a cache we couldn't use TKBL for trackable and TB for the bug trackable?

So TTKBL is “Took Trackable”? I'd suppose if you can't figure out if the Trackable is a Geocoin or Official Travel Bug, an abbreviation of “Trackable” could be OK. One way I could see not knowing, is when an item's released with a Tracking Code inscribed and no "tag" at all, in which case, it could be either a Geocoin or a TB. Are you logging immediately by phone?

Even before making a log, I look up the item by its Tracking Code. So the Found It log can have something like “Took cat coin” or “Took Reno TB. “Coin” being a Geocoin (any Trackable that is NOT a TB dogtag). As mentioned, “TB” is commonly used to refer to most any item that can be tracked on Geocaching.com.

When someone comes to the forum and asks “I found a frog Travel Bug, but the numbers are no good, how do I log it?”, and needs to clarify that the tag itself is the “frog”, it's best to specify that it is a Geocoin. Then it can be researched more easily. A “Travel Bug” would be the generic barcode bug dogtag (perhaps with an attached toy frog).

But I do confuse the matter. I've named one of my Geocoins “TB Night Fury”. And my car is a Geocoin, yet has the recognizable TB barcode window sticker -- I thought a “Coin” icon would never be discovered.

Edited by kunarion

I guess I'm not clear on why you would need the distinction. For the owner? For searching?