garmin etrex h

baggins52

I have just been given a garmin h for my 60th as I would like to use it for geocaching, been doing it without so far, but not sure how to set it up or enter caches, I would be really grateful and would like a step by step clear instruction for an oldie. Read instructions and manual but still no luck. PLEASE HELP.

Setup: It should already be set-up for you -- but just in case -- Main Menu> Setup> Datum/Format> WGS-84 and HDD(D)° MM.MMM Datum and Format.

I think the "H" will only go to two decimals -- don't worry about it. Also, don't sweat the degree symbol.

Loading: There is a catch -- far easier if you have a plug-in cable. Part of that problem is that the "H" uses a serial interface. You cannot hardly find a computer today with a serial port. Most all use a USB port. You can purchase a Serial/USB adaptor at many online locations.

Otherwise: Hand-entering coords isn't too difficult. It is cumbersome to do a lot of them.

"Mark" a waypoint (where you are standing) > using the joystick, scroll to the top [Enter] and enter the cache # (skip the GC -- they all have it). You can use the name, but you are limited to 7 characters.

Scroll down to the (first) Coordinates line, alter those digits to reflect the cache you wish to attempt -- all the way through both the N coords and the S coords. [Enter] and [save] if that option is available. You are done.

Next cache: Start right in where you left off. No need to "mark" again. Remember to name it, when finished, [save] and go on to the next one.

------------

Having entered a few.... go out to cache. Highlight one (nearest will be the first) and hit [Enter], or [GoTo].

Hope that helps somewhat.

I've got an H and I love it.

If its the same one I've got it may not have a joy stick to scroll.

Turn on by lower button on right.

Scroll through screens by upper button on right.

When you see the screen that has a list of options with "mark" and "waypoints" etc. Then use two upper buttons on left to scroll up and down menu.

Go to "mark" then hit enter which is lower left button. That will give you the coordinates for where you're standing. You then change those to the cache Coords.

Scroll down with scroll keys on upper left side of unit. Go to: edit location.

Now use the scroll keys to go across. When there is a number you want to change, hit the enter key. That will give you the little menu of numbers you can scroll through until you get the number you want. Then hit enter key.

When you are done editing the location, scroll to enter. You must hit enter to save it.

You don't have to change the name of it. It will give you a number for each waypoint. You do need to record this number.

I used to write up a page (or print one) that said the cache name, size, difficulty/ terrain, hint and any other info I needed, then I'd enter the coords by hand and just write the number of the saved coords on that page. For instance, I'd record the cache name, "Squirrel Heaven" then next to it I'd write the number 1 because it was the first cache entered into my machine so the GPS gave me the number 1 for it.

I would suggest writing up some of this info, or printing up the cache page (hit the button to decrypt the hint first before printing if you want to save some trouble).

I say "used to" print up the cache info because since then I've gotten a GPS that records the cache information into the GPS. My old Etrex H is still more accurate though, so I still use it.

If you get into this game and have been doing it a while, you can get a cable to download the caches into the GPS and you can get a membership so you can create pocket queries to download a lot of caches at once. I found many hundreds of caches by entering the caches one at a time though. I think I found 800 before I got the cable. Not sure.

Have fun!!!

(you can email me if you have more problems or questions with this unit. Once you get it down it is simple, but it takes a little to get it down)

Edited by Sol seaker

Setup: It should already be set-up for you -- but just in case -- Main Menu> Setup> Datum/Format> WGS-84 and HDD(D)° MM.MMM Datum and Format.

I think the "H" will only go to two decimals -- don't worry about it. Also, don't sweat the degree symbol.

Loading: There is a catch -- far easier if you have a plug-in cable. Part of that problem is that the "H" uses a serial interface. You cannot hardly find a computer today with a serial port. Most all use a USB port. You can purchase a Serial/USB adaptor at many online locations.

Otherwise: Hand-entering coords isn't too difficult. It is cumbersome to do a lot of them.

"Mark" a waypoint (where you are standing) > using the joystick, scroll to the top [Enter] and enter the cache # (skip the GC -- they all have it). You can use the name, but you are limited to 7 characters.

Scroll down to the (first) Coordinates line, alter those digits to reflect the cache you wish to attempt -- all the way through both the N coords and the S coords. [Enter] and [save] if that option is available. You are done.

Next cache: Start right in where you left off. No need to "mark" again. Remember to name it, when finished, [save] and go on to the next one.

------------

Having entered a few.... go out to cache. Highlight one (nearest will be the first) and hit [Enter], or [GoTo].

Hope that helps somewhat.