Found my first bug~triple checking the procedure

evil-lemons

Sorry to start a new thread but I really want to be sure I understand and complete the steps correctly.

I found a TB today (hooray!) and took it with me. I just plugged the code in and it came up just fine and was listed in the cache that I found it in.

I should log it as 'retrieved' from said cache, correct? I will also make a short note on the log. Then what? From what I'm reading I should try to help with its mission and then put in a new cache but I don't log about putting it in a new cache(?).

Do I have this right? I read all the information over and over so I'm probably making it more difficult than it really is...I hope?

Thanks so much!

You have it half right. You should indeed log a retrieve if it was in the cache it was supposed to be in, but when you put it in another cache, you should also log this.

When you are writing a found log for a cache, the bottom of the page will have a list of all the trackables you currently have. Click the dropdown next to the right one and select "dropped off" when you're leaving a trackable. This will be recorded on the trackable's page. Writing a note on the trackable page is also appreciated. Make sure you keep note of the tracking number on paper too. Once you dropped it off, you can't check that number again and you need it to write such notes. I like to take pictures of the trackables I've had.

Edited by stijnhommes

You have it half right. You should indeed log a retrieve if it was in the cache it was supposed to be in, but when you put it in another cache, you should also log this.

When you are writing a found log for a cache, the bottom of the page will have a list of all the trackables you currently have. Click the dropdown next to the right one and select "dropped off" when you're leaving a trackable. This will be recorded on the trackable's page. Writing a note on the trackable page is also appreciated. Make sure you keep note of the tracking number on paper too. Once you dropped it off, you can't check that number again and you need it to write such notes. I like to take pictures of the trackables I've had.

Brilliant, thank you! I was quite sure another log should be made when the TB is dropped off but couldn't seem to find that information. Thanks also for the tip about jotting down the TB number for reference.

Brilliant, thank you! I was quite sure another log should be made when the TB is dropped off but couldn't seem to find that information. Thanks also for the tip about jotting down the TB number for reference.

The drop-off log is automated, as described by stijnhommes above. It's linked to the log you make on the cache page but on the trackable's page it only logs the fact that it's been dropped into the cache with no further detail. If you want to add any text you have to go back to the drop-off log on the trackable's page and edit it in. It's useful to do this if you've placed it into a particularly interesting cache, or one that's especially relevant to its mission.

MrsB

Small correction here.... a "Note" does not require the code.

In that case something must be bugged. I've tried to post notes on TBs, but I'm always asked to enter the tracking number when I do so.

I think I read somewhere that if you're using one of the phone applications to post a trackable note it asks for the tracking number, but you don't need it if you're using a PC to access the site.

MrsB

Thanks so much, everyone! I'm not one of the cool kids so I don't have a phone app. :laughing:

If you post a picture of the bug, don't show the tracking number.

Thanks...that was probably the first (or second?) thing I learned but always good to have a reminder! :) I don't know how to block out numbers so I just won't post pictures (then again, I don't know how to post pictures either!). :blink:

In that case something must be bugged. I've tried to post notes on TBs, but I'm always asked to enter the tracking number when I do so.

There's a space to put the tracking code in when you "leave note", but you can just leave it blank. You can leave a note without entering the tracking code

If you want to add any text you have to go back to the drop-off log on the trackable's page and edit it in. It's useful to do this if you've placed it into a particularly interesting cache, or one that's especially relevant to its mission.

I'd say that every drop off is, in some way, "relevant to its mission". I always edit TB drop or visit logs to say something useful about the event.

Sorry to bump this up but I dropped the TB off and can't find where to write a note after the fact. I'd like to say something about it and not just have dropped it off. Thank you!

ETA: ahhh...I found it, sorry. It under the 'found it? log it!' tab...the 'write note' option comes up then.

Edited by evil-lemons

Sorry to bump this up but I dropped the TB off and can't find where to write a note after the fact. I'd like to say something about it and not just have dropped it off. Thank you!

ETA: ahhh...I found it, sorry. It under the 'found it? log it!' tab...the 'write note' option comes up then.

You can also do it by editing the drop-off log on the TB page... But if you do it that way the owner doesn't get a notification of the edit details so they won't notice your comments unless they view the TB page directly. By doing it your way and writing a separate Note log the owner will get the email notification of the Note.

MrsB

You can also do it by editing the drop-off log on the TB page... But if you do it that way the owner doesn't get a notification of the edit details so they won't notice your comments unless they view the TB page directly. By doing it your way and writing a separate Note log the owner will get the email notification of the Note.

Brilliant, thanks! How about posting a picture? I received an email from the TB owner and she was happy with the TB's travels...and mentioned that it's nice to post a picture when possible. I did take a pic of one cache area that the TB visited but am not sure how to post it.

Okay, I guess I could have just said, 'How do I post a picture?', lol. Thanks for any help.

Visit the bug page and next to your log, on the right select the link Visit Log. There you'll see a pencil image. a red X and a square. Click the square. That will bring you to the Upload a Trackable Log Image page.

As a reminder: Write down the tracking number before you drop the bug into a cache.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Visit the bug page and next to your log, on the right select the link Visit Log. There you'll see a pencil image. a red X and a square. Click the square. That will bring you to the Upload a Trackable Log Image page.

As a reminder: Write down the tracking number before you drop the bug into a cache.

Thanks ever so much. I did make a note of the tracking number, as suggested earlier in this thread (maybe by you?

I'm on my iPod and have a hard time navigating!).

I'll try to post a pic on the log tomorrow. Thanks again.

Thanks so much, everyone! I'm not one of the cool kids so I don't have a phone app. :laughing:

If you post a picture of the bug, don't show the tracking number.

Thanks...that was probably the first (or second?) thing I learned but always good to have a reminder! :) I don't know how to block out numbers so I just won't post pictures (then again, I don't know how to post pictures either!). :blink:

Use an image-editing software to blur out the tracking number before uploading the image.

There's lots of image-editing software around, you probably already have one that came with your operating system.

A free one that I like to use is PicPick:

http://www.picpick.org/en/

You don't necessarily have to post photos of the trackable itself. Photos of the surroundings, where the trackable has travelled, are most welcome, too.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

As noted already, if you're using your computer, then posting a "write note" on a bug's or coin's page, then the tracking number is not needed.

I've done it lots of times, to make note of the fact that a trackable was not in the cache. Obviously, I don't have the tracking number in that circumstance.

B.