Terrain rating adjustments over time

Mike & Jess

Ayep. I love the irony in Roman's quote above..

Can you please explain the irony or are you just making s*** up?

Ahh, that explains the whining. Just go find another cache.

Again you seem to be lacking comprehension skill as I have clearly stated the rating was restored and you seem the be missing the point I was making.

Your true colors are showing.. I love it.

The irony is, you complain for those that have already found the cache but don't give a lick about future finders of the cache. Talk about not caring for your fellow cachers.. at least you already got your smiley.

i·ro·ny1    [ahy-ruh-nee, ahy-er-] Show IPA

noun, plural i·ro·nies.

the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.

I see no irony and besides you are just using part of what I was saying to fit what you want to hear, how nice of you.

Since you're one that thinks posting a dictionary definition is somehow superior, here's the official Webster's definition:

iro·ny noun \ˈī-rə-nē also ˈī(-ə)r-nē\

plural iro·nies

Definition of IRONY

1: a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other's false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning —called also Socratic irony

2a : the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning b : a usually humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by irony c : an ironic expression or utterance

3a (1) : incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result (2) : an event or result marked by such incongruity b : incongruity between a situation developed in a drama and the accompanying words or actions that is understood by the audience but not by the characters in the play —called also dramatic irony, tragic irony

Again you seem to be lacking comprehension skill as I have clearly stated the rating was restored and you seem the be missing the point I was making.

The irony is, you complain for those that have already found the cache but don't give a lick about future finders of the cache. Talk about not caring for your fellow cachers.. at least you already got your smiley.

noun, plural i·ro·nies.

the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.

I see no irony and besides you are just using part of what I was saying to fit what you want to hear, how nice of you.

Since you're one that thinks posting a dictionary definition is somehow superior, here's the official Webster's definition:

plural iro·nies

Definition of IRONY

1: a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other's false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning —called also Socratic irony

2a : the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning b : a usually humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by irony c : an ironic expression or utterance

3a (1) : incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result (2) : an event or result marked by such incongruity b : incongruity between a situation developed in a drama and the accompanying words or actions that is understood by the audience but not by the characters in the play —called also dramatic irony, tragic irony

Regardless, there still is no irony as I took into account future and past finders with a solution but you on the other hand are doing exactly what you're falsely accusing me of by not caring about the past finders which makes you a hypocrite.

noun, plural i·ro·nies.

plural iro·nies

Definition of IRONY

Regardless, there still is no irony as I took into account future and past finders with a solution but you on the other hand are doing exactly what you're falsely accusing me of by not caring about the past finders which makes you a hypocrite.

Eye-roll.

You mean this?

I said if the experience changed enough to warrant a change to the ratings then the cache should be archived and a new one placed so everyone gets the accurate rating

...almost there.

Your problem is that "should be" clause. You're telling CO's how to treat their caches they feel no longer have accurate ratings. The point is - no, rather the CO's should do whatever they feel is appropriate for the listing. That is the right (eta: and responsibility) given to them by Groundspeak.

If they choose to archive and relist, great. If they choose to alter the ratings, great. They are under no obligation to take past finders' stats into consideration.

If the CO wants to help facilitate a fun game for everyone with the least drama while exercising their rights within the defined rules, then the best option, if not re-listing, is to post the details of the alteration in the notes for historicity.

Cache finders also have no right to demand that CO's retain listing properties statically for the remainder of its active life, just because they found it and it gives them a combo they didn't have before. Priority is to an accurate cache listing - whether it's new or old.

If you insert a "so and so should do this or that", you are now forcing your play style (as in, implying that anyone who doesn't is 'doin it rong'). Qualify it with a reason, like "to avoid drama", rather than just the implied "this is the way it should be done". Some people don't care to avoid drama. Well ye know, they aren't doing anything wrong, against the rules.

Challenge cachers will always exist. CO's who change cache listing properties will always exist. Neither of these are doing anything wrong, but both of these will clash.

So to attempt to minimize that clash, challenge cachers and COs who alter stats should play the game realizing the other exists, and find a compromise playstyle that A) encourages accurate listings for caches to be found and B) allows people to play the game in various fun, friendly, and legitimate ways.

Edited by thebruce0