Updating GPX files

bananaskin

Prior to caching in the field, I normally download what caches I want to locate by placing them into a dedicated folder created for the purpose in My Documents'. I then use GSAK to transfer them to the Etrex 20 and also copy GC codes over to Memory Map.

On occasions, I find it could take several weeks before I visit these downloaded caches and I have just found out that logs and any other pertinent info is not automatically updated. For example, I downloaded the 'Alphabet Soup' series onto GSAK about 2 weeks ago and sent these to my GPS this morning. Unfortunately the latest log date is mid August.Is there any way to update these gpx files so when I do get out there I have the latest logs/info to hand without resorting to deleting everything and starting again?

Prior to caching in the field, I normally download what caches I want to locate by placing them into a dedicated folder created for the purpose in My Documents'. I then use GSAK to transfer them to the Etrex 20 and also copy GC codes over to Memory Map.

On occasions, I find it could take several weeks before I visit these downloaded caches and I have just found out that logs and any other pertinent info is not automatically updated.

It's not clear why or how you thought the data automatically would be updated on your machine? The GPX file generated by a PQ is a snapshot taken at the point it was run. As Mark says, give the PQ a name you will remember it by, and run the same PQ as close to the time you want to use it as is practical.

Using the GC API with GSAK 8 is very powerful, but you have to understand what you're asking for. Refresh Cache Data won't bring down any new ones, Get Geocaches will.

Rgds, Andy

If it really is several weeks, the best course of action is to do both things that have been suggested.

1) Re-run your PQ.

This will update the cache entries to the last 5 logs, and add any new caches.

2) Refresh the cache data using GSAK 8.

This will download more than the last 5 logs (if set to do so), thus filling in the gaps.

More importantly, it will detect any caches that have been archived: after refreshing the caches, make sure you search for any archived caches and delete them.