Problems seeing waypoints 60csx

jackd1000

I'm having real problems seeing waypoints on my Garmin 60csx.

I download the .gpx files using mapsource and I can see them on my memory card. I can read them ! But when I look at my handheld I can't see the waypoints at all. I've tried Basecamp and have exactly the same problem. I thought it might have been because my waypoint memory is full but I've just deleted them all and it still doesn't work. Any ideas anybody ?

i think i know what it is - whenever i connect my 60csx to the PC it is only visible in 'USM MAss Storage' mode. How do I make it visible in the normal connected mode - ie USB Garmin Data Format. I can't upload to internal memory otherwise. I have installed all the Garmin drivers on windows 7

From reading other forum topics, You can't make it visible. The only way to upload to internal memory is with Mapsource, Basecamp or some other tool that will communicate with the internal memory or your 60csx.

MtnShasta is correct. The 60CSX cannot read .gpx files from the memory card, only from internal memory. Use Mapsource, Basecamp or EasyGPS to transfer the files to internal memory.

The 60CSx CANNOT read .gpx files, regardless of where they are stored (internal or external card). As others have mentioned, you have to load the caches from the gpx files using something like Mapsource or EasyGPX. EasyGPX is the simplest, IMO.

Understand, though, that when those tools load the caches from the .gpx files, they ARE NOT loading the .gpx files themselves to the GPS. They extract the caches from the .gpx and load them as, I think, waypoints. This is why you can delete caches from a 60CSx and not from later GPS's that read .gpx files directly.

What I find odd is that it sounds like the OP's unit automatically (did I interpret that right?) goes into USB Mass Storage Mode. If so, that would be a problem, preventing the loading of waypoints via some of the software mentioned above.

Normally, the unit won't be in USB Mass Storage Mode unless you explicitly put it there, via Setup / Interface. The unit should start up in normal mode, meaning software can talk to it.