To Dip or Drop, that is the Question

gururyan

So I've got a number of geocoins (not mine) that I will be taking over 1,000 miles away to a state that seems to have a high theft rate of coins, at least in the areas I will be. Should I drop them in various caches so their journeys can continue, or just dip them and bring them back home and drop them in caches where may have a better survival rate? Granted these theft "stats" are simply personal observations as I do research prior to my trip. So I guess the question is as an owner of a coin, would you prefer your coin be dipped until it can be dropped in safer areas (subjective I know) even if it means backtracking, or do you prefer it being dropped and taking the risks.

As a coin owner, I would much rather the coins be dipped in the caches that might not be so secure and then dropped into ones that are more secure. However, I personally don't care for a zillion "visited" logs on my coins all from one cacher. I absolutely like it when my coins visit another state or interesting area or even a different part of the same state, but I don't need 60 "visited" logs in the same state - one "visited" log for that area would suffice to give the coin some mileage and show that it's been there.

Thanks for asking. It's nice when cachers take the time to find out what others prefer about their travelers! So, thanks!

As coin owner, I brought my coins into the game for others to enjoy them. The ones I want to enjoy my self are in my collection ;) (not completely true, because they can be discoverd by others too). So if it pleases somebody to dip a coin for whatever reason, it's fine with me. Only those logs are not so interesting to read. So if you want to act on what I would like, it would go in a safe cache were an other cacher would find it, enjoy it and place it in an other safe cache. I don't mind a coin is in somebody's hand fore more than the time many considder as reasonable, as long as it is safe and in the game. Not forgotten in a draw, but just waiting for the next safe cache. I don't mind simple discover logs, because I think people who discover the coin enjoy the coin too.

So in short; I'd like my traveling coins to be safe and don't mind if they are dipped or not, as long as they are safe.

My 2 cents :)

Well, I'm back from my trip. I dipped half, dropped half, found 1. So I'm back with half+1. Put about 3,000 miles on the ones I dipped. The ones I was most concerned about going missing were luckily found by a seasoned cacher the same day I dropped them, so they should be in good hands. The others I dropped haven't been found yet, hope they make it.

<_< I do both Dip/Drop, just depends on the Cache location. My personal coins are dropped once in a while in Special caches while some are for certain cacher to locate but are told in advance of the drop. In this way they have to decide if they want to make the grab or it move about.

Numerous coins are always carried to allow folks to Discover... here's an example....

1121k.jpg

Dipping! Who knew? Awesome. I guess we dipped a travel bug three times today and didn't know it! Will have to go back and log that. (The bug wants to land in NY state, where we found it, but we didn't realize it was almost "home" until after we took it from the cache, intending to bring it to Mass. We did a few caches here but didn't want to drag this guy off course.

My sister picked up a coin for me as a gift, an old split window VW bus...because I used to have/drive one. It's the first coin I've decided to "keep" and only dip and let people discover. I have a strong suspicion that if I dropped it, it would go "missing" pretty quickly. It's not as fun, but I really have grown tired of stolen, lost, missing coins.