Some more questions

telbert

I'm afraid i've got some more questions for you all.

What to do with the items in a cache? Do you keep them as a of momento of your find or are they passed on from one cache to the next?

Whats the etiquette of replacing a found cache if your being watched?At one point today i had found a cache but before i could replace it, the area was filled with hoards of screaming kids that were paying a lot of attention to what i was doing.Would it have been acceptable to go for a wander for a while(with the cache) until the kids lost interest in what i was doing and disappeared again and then replace it?

Cheers

Tel

I'm afraid i've got some more questions for you all.

What to do with the items in a cache? Do you keep them as a of momento of your find or are they passed on from one cache to the next?

Whats the etiquette of replacing a found cache if your being watched?At one point today i had found a cache but before i could replace it, the area was filled with hoards of screaming kids that were paying a lot of attention to what i was doing.Would it have been acceptable to go for a wander for a while(with the cache) until the kids lost interest in what i was doing and disappeared again and then replace it?

Cheers

Tel

SWAG: do with it as you will. If you don't need/want it, why take it? Some collect specific items from caches, others simply add to them, some trade not at all.

Yes, being compromised while replacing a cache in its' hiding spot is one of the worst scenarios. I have found it necessary to simply wait, occasionally wander off with the cache in-hand. Return it later (not too much later, though).

Obviously you realize that once the kids see you replace it, you can certainly consider it "gone" shortly after you leave.

Once you trade for it, it's yours. Do with it what you will. A couple times, I've traded up for offensively graphic material, and then disposed of it. Other than that, I trade only for personal signature items left by other geocachers, which I add to my collection.

And yes, sometimes you might need to come back later to replace the cache. Once, while I was in my vehicle signing the log, private security arrived and started dealing with an unrelated issue right at ground zero. I needed to leave, and couldn't replace the cache while they were busy, so I took it with me and came back later that evening to replace the cache. It happens.

I've had that happen before....grabbed an LPC in a parking lot. There was nobody around when I started to sign but just as I was ready to replace it the guy with the car parked 3 feet from the lamp post came walking up. As casually as I could manage I strolled away with the cache in hand until he went away. It probably would have been a better move in that case to grab the cache, take it back to the car to sign, then walked back over to replace it when the coast was clear.

The stuff you get from a cache (unless it's a registered travel bug or geocoin) are yours to do as you wish with. Keep them, move to another cache, whatever you want.

It you think replacing the cache might compromise it by all means take it and come back later. If you need to keep it overnight for some reason make sure you post a note on the cache page mentioning what you did.

I recall someone encountering a similar situation with one of my caches. He wasn't local so he mailed the container back to me. I appreciated his concern for my cache.