A bug I'd like to release into the wild soon.

Chino1130

I really want to send this to someone in California and try to have it end up back in Connecticut. I'm having a hard time letting it go. I just know that someone is going to swipe it because it's pretty cool (IMO). I would like everyone who finds it to take of picture of it on some kind of cool terrain.

305080_337683549656940_1197776047_n.jpg

578772_337683672990261_1246353854_n.jpg

253091_337683699656925_65399079_n.jpg

253177_337683726323589_64047616_n.jpg

386868_337683769656918_1163775290_n.jpg

I really want to send this to someone in California and try to have it end up back in Connecticut. I'm having a hard time letting it go. I just know that someone is going to swipe it because it's pretty cool (IMO).

Are all the parts permenently attached? If not, you should attach everything with Goop, or Liquid Nails, or urethane epoxy, or even JB Weld pressed into it like clay. Even if the wheels won't turn when you're done. I'm thinking it should be very solid, since it may be jostled around in caches and backpacks. If it seems fine the way it is, that's OK, too. It's just a suggestion.

I'd also drill a hole through the top to the bottom, and run as heavy a steel cable as will fit a TB dogtag, and swage it. Or use a nut and bolt, to secure the TB tag. But not the cheap ball chain that comes with the tags, because that will break. My most recent TBs have dogtags attached using a very thick steel wire bent into a "U" shape and glued into the object. Maybe you could use steel wire to make a little "hitch" so the vehicle is "towing" the TB tag! The idea is to make it tough to remove without damaging the item.

Anyway, it does look very cool, and I hope it travels far!

Edited by kunarion

I really want to send this to someone in California and try to have it end up back in Connecticut. I'm having a hard time letting it go. I just know that someone is going to swipe it because it's pretty cool (IMO).

Are all the parts permenently attached? If not, you should attach everything with Goop, or Liquid Nails, or urethane epoxy, or even JB Weld pressed into it like clay. Even if the wheels won't turn when you're done. I'm thinking it should be very solid, since it may be jostled around in caches and backpacks. If it seems fine the way it is, that's OK, too. It's just a suggestion.

I'd also drill a hole through the top to the bottom, and run as heavy a steel cable as will fit a TB dogtag, and swage it. Or use a nut and bolt, to secure the TB tag. But not the cheap ball chain that comes with the tags, because that will break. My most recent TBs have dogtags attached using a very thick steel wire bent into a "U" shape and glued into the object. The idea is that it's tough to remove without damaging the item.

Anyway, it does look very cool, and I hope it travels far!

Thanks! You can't see it, but I did drill out a hole in the back of the frame for an attachment line. Everything is really solid on it (Gorilla glue :D). I have a buddy of mine that is a welder. I was going to attach the tag using a steel cable and have him mig-weld the ends together.

I did drill out a hole in the back of the frame for an attachment line. Everything is really solid on it (Gorilla glue :D). I have a buddy of mine that is a welder. I was going to attach the tag using a steel cable and have him mig-weld the ends together.

I'd like to see how the welding turns out. If I had a decent setup for securing TB cables, I might set up a Travel Bug Attachment Event. :anicute:

One other consideration, if you want photos of your Travel Bug, is designing it so that the tag naturally lies with the tracking number out of view (out of the picture). I like to take fun pictures that I hope the TB owners will enjoy, but often need to spend extra time erasing the tracking number, because it keeps getting in the picture.

I did drill out a hole in the back of the frame for an attachment line. Everything is really solid on it (Gorilla glue :D). I have a buddy of mine that is a welder. I was going to attach the tag using a steel cable and have him mig-weld the ends together.

I'd like to see how the welding turns out. If I had a decent setup for securing TB cables, I might set up a Travel Bug Attachment Event. :anicute:

One other consideration, if you want photos of your Travel Bug, is designing it so that the tag naturally lies with the tracking number out of view (out of the picture). I like to take fun pictures that I hope the TB owners will enjoy, but often need to spend extra time erasing the tracking number, because it keeps getting in the picture.

That's a great tip. Thanks!