Delete notifications

the Seagnoid

This is not strictly a bug but an enhancement, but I cannot find a more appropriate place to put this.

When a trackable image is deleted from a log by the cache owner (eg it contains spoiler information, such as the tracking number) The cache owner is required to complete a reason which presumabley gets emailed to the log owner. It is also posted into the cache log as a "did not find".

Two things: Firstly "Did not find" for deleting an image is a confusing log type. The cache was found, so was the trackable. It should be flagged as a "log deleted" log type, or something similar.

Secondly, I approve of the "reason for deletion" mechanism, and I recommend it be used for all log types. For instance a case where a cacher obviously did not attend the cache, or where a cacher obviously did not find the trackable (eg just lucked on the correct tracking ID), the cacher should be sent a reason as to why their log was deleted. Certainly this could be done as a discussion via email, but formally logged with Groundspeak would be better. Currently the image deletion is the only log type that requests a reason and presumably notifies the log owner.

Thanks for posting this. I think it IS a bug.

palmetto - who owns a TB and deleted an image - receives this incoherent notification:

[LOG] Owner: palmetto couldn't find Florida Chorus Frog (Volunteer Geocoin)

You are receiving this email because you are the owner of this listing.

palmetto couldn't find Florida Chorus Frog (Volunteer Geocoin) at 8/24/2012

Log Date: 8/24/2012

This is an automated message.

Reason for deletion: delete image

Image link: http ://img.geocaching.c....

Isonzo Karst, whose image was deleted was sent this reasonable notification:

[GEO] Your log image for Florida Chorus Frog was removed

Your image titled "ammoPatch" was removed from the cache "Florida Chorus Frog" by the cache owner for the following reason:

delete image

View the original image: http ://img.geocaching.c...

View the log entry: http ://www.geocaching.com/t...

I did this again with a cache log. On a geocache when the owner deletes an image, the incoherent notification that owner receives is:

[LOG] Owner: Isonzo Karst posted a reviewer note for Swamp Rats Drink Cautiously (Traditional Cache)

Isonzo Karst posted a reviewer note for Swamp Rats Drink Cautiously (Traditional Cache) at 8/24/2012

Log Date: 8/24/2012

This is an automated message.

Reason for deletion: delete image

Image link: http ://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/l

the person whose image is deleted receives a properly worded notificaiton

GEO] Your log image for Swamp Rats Drink Cautiously was removed

Thank you for pointing out this error. I have entered a bug into our internal queue.

Hi Moun10Bike,

it looks like this internal queue is very long. The bug is still there!

I just got a couple of trackables of mine discovered by a harvester, who was browsing through the image gallery of gc.com.

So I took the liberty to check and finally deleted all the pictures, where others have posted a foto with a tracking number visible.

After that I got a couple of emails, with subject: "[LOG] Owner: tasdevil13 couldn't find [my tb name] (Travel Bug Dog Tag)".

This is in my opinion the wrong error message.

Cheers

Roland aka tasdevil13

P.S. This actually also happened to our little Signal plush frog with the souvenir TB tag from the BlockParty in 2011, where we met in persona in Seattle... ;-)