My etrex 20..

hydrodis

My Etrex20 still amazes me. Providing the cach owners co-ords are correct it is so accurate even under cover. The biggest lesson was learning to trust it.

Usual method wnen closing to GZ start looking ( which is good practise) every time today etrex took me to within 2 feet of the cach.

My Etrex20 still amazes me. Providing the cach owners co-ords are correct it is so accurate even under cover. The biggest lesson was learning to trust it.

Usual method wnen closing to GZ start looking ( which is good practise) every time today etrex took me to within 2 feet of the cach.

Just bought the Etrex 20 a couple of days ago.

Only done 1 easy cache just to try it out which it worked well compared to the smartphone i used to use.

The accuracy over the smartphone was 10 fold, the etrex lead me straight to the cache whereas the smartphone usually within around 15ft.

Doing a couple more caches tomorrow to get used to the Etrex a bit more but so far i love it.

Edited by Lowther Gang

Remember that the cache placer might not have been careful when checking his coordinates, so the best GPSr in the world could still appear to be some distance off.

Also note that you can dowload OS maps for use on most Garmin units, including the Etrex 20 (quite easily) and the older Etrex HCx units (less easily). But having tried it, I prefer the talkytoaster maps (link here) for geocaching use on the Extrex 20. The OS maps have limitations, and the screen size makes them less clear than the OSM version.

I'd add to the above that using GSAK to download and maintain cache databases makes the Extrex 20 a very powerful tool. Don't bother using pocket query files if you can use GSAK instead (which does also have the facility to load PQs direct from your geocaching account, but can also load caches from the site without needing a PQ).

+1 on GSAK. Once you have got the hang if it then you will wonder how you managed without it!But I prefer OS maps as generally I cache in the country and find the detail helpful.But what you can do is have both maps on the GPSr. I use OS on the geocaching profile and Talkytoaster (OSM) on the automotive profile as they are routeable :)

I use OS on the geocaching profile and Talkytoaster (OSM) on the automotive profile as they are routeable :)

Treat them with caution, though... I recently loaded them on my 60CSx when I went to Jersey as my normally used Garmin Topo maps don't cover the Channel Islands. The route they chose to take to reach a cache just a couple of miles away tried to take me 3 miles along the north coast footpath and across a field before getting back on to public roads!! :huh:

I use OS on the geocaching profile and Talkytoaster (OSM) on the automotive profile as they are routeable :)

Treat them with caution, though... I recently loaded them on my 60CSx when I went to Jersey as my normally used Garmin Topo maps don't cover the Channel Islands. The route they chose to take to reach a cache just a couple of miles away tried to take me 3 miles along the north coast footpath and across a field before getting back on to public roads!! :huh:

Agreed as they are only as good as the person who updated the OSM, sometimes they don't connect roads correctly so it tries to take you the long way. Had this the other day, instead of turning right and going 100 yards to the destination it went about a mile around it and approached it the other way.....I turned right though ;)