Cave Cache Rescue

GetFunky

The local news media has portrayed cachers in a pretty decent light in the wake of this. It was originally "hikers seeking shelter" in the cave, and this morning it came out that they were cachers (the local community was pretty sure it was cachers from the beginning). One TV station put out a call looking for cachers to show them what it's all about, and the piece that was produced was pretty good. Another station got a fire department lieutenant who is also a cacher on camera saying pretty much the same things.

"It's difficult because you're invested in it you want to find something like that so people will probably try to push themselves more than they should but you need to be prudent about what you're capable of doing,” Lt. Kuppinger said. “Where they were is typically probably a fairly dry area so circumstances were unusual for them but again prudence is; look at what you're doing, look at your situation, take in your surroundings, and look at the bigger picture don't get mono-focused on what you're trying to accomplish look at the bigger picture and say is this safe or should I come back another day?”

Never saw or heard anything negative said about them or why they were in that location, no stern words (that I saw/heard) from law enforcement or rescue team members, just a "you gotta be aware of your surroundings and not go into an already wet cave when a storm kicks up" reminder

Yeah, it was Orc's Treasure. It was cool just hiking down to the cave. Sorry about the green text, it should be fixed now.

I became aware of Orc's Treasure just a short time after I stared caching about 5 1/2 years ago. I was at my first local event and someone was coordinating a group hunt to go get Orc's Treasure and another one in Rochester (might have been something like Subway Cache). Rochester is only about two hours away but I still haven't made to Orc's Treasure.

I'm glad to see that this was an incident that could have happened to anybody hiking in there, and not something that was directly caused by geocaching! Looks like it was probably The Orc's Treasure geocache that they were looking for. The cachers admirably posted a DNF :). (and the cache owner has posted a warning on the cache page because of it).

Interesting to note the DNF poster joined 4 days ago, and has not found any caches? Don't worry, I'm not going there. Just interesting to note. :) I have not found Orc's treasure, although I've been to the area, and found caches on top of the gorge. Many of my geo-pals have found it; most I'll bet. I myself certainly wouldn't have thought twice about going in during rain, and would not have expected what happened (waist high water rushing in) to happen.