Record that a travel bug is in a cache?

WulfyGeo

I found a travel bug in a cache today but it wasn't logged as being in there. I didn't take it as I won't be doing any caching for a while. I have emailed the person who is logged as having the bug. If they don't get back to me, how do I log it as being in the cache? Do I grab it and then drop it into the cache?

Thanks

You don't need to do anything more.

You've reminded the cacher who has the TB in their inventory that they need to drop the TB into the cache - It's now up to them to do so.

If you had physically taken the TB then you would remind them (as you have done) and if they didn't do the online drop-off then after a few days you could "grab" the TB from them to bring it into your hands. Then you could have given the TB a visit to the cache where you found it.

But as you don't have the TB in your possession there's nothing more for you to do.

MrsB :)

First and foremost - the TB could've been dropped in that cache minutes before you got there. How do you know? Look for the username who has/had the TB, look at the TB's previous logs (and dates), and look at the cache previous logs(and dates). If the TB was just recently dropped - you could 'Discover' the TB and write down the cache and GC number in your discover log (for the TB owner) just in case the TB doesn't get logged there in the future.

If its obvious the TB hasn't had any logs in weeks or month - then you could:

You could log the TB 'grab from somewhere else' - this will put the TB in your inventory.

Once its in your inventory, you can DROP it in the cache.

At that point, the TB is officially logged correctly in the correct cache.

Thanks guys. I have contacted the logged holder and despite some language difficulties I think it is sorted now.

I had checked the logs as you suggested and seen the the holder had visited that cache a few weeks ago. I have now gone back and grabbed it and moved it to a busier cache.

I would have pretended to grab the TB and place it in the cache where I know it is. As others have noted, that's only after giving a little time for a slow log, although discovering that the TB holder logged a visit to the cache 2 weeks earlier would convince me that he just forgot to log the drop, so I'd better take care of it.