Help Setting Up A Geocaching Competition

1madmanx

I tried searching for this topic first but got overwhelmed very quickly so I'll apologize if this has been discussed in detail before.

I am a co-chair for an auto club event in Oct. The event is being held over six days. I would like to set up a little geocaching competition (self paced over the duration of the event) using approx. 8 geocaches located all over the area of the event. I planned to give everyone a sheet with the coordinates of each cache, in addition to a "quiz sheet" that they had to get the answers for in the cache or around it. My concerns are: how to fool-proof this as to limit cheating (sharing of the answers) and how to score the results. I thought that I could put a token, slip of paper, colored tape, etc. in the cache that would have to be gathered from each cache and adhered to the quiz sheet. Unfortunately there is no way to prevent someone from picking up an extra one for a friend.

I'm sure others have done this type of thing already and can share lessons learned. If there is a topic on this can someone point me to it?

Thank you in advance.

Bud

You could also place "event caches", that is caches you don't plan on actually publishing on the site, that would only be for the purposes of the competition. Give your competitors the coordinates, and do whatever you want. Stamps, playing cards, secret clues, individual words that when placed together in the proper order answer and obscure question.... If they're not published, no GC guidelines. Hey, even place two caches on separate sides of the same tree. Just be careful of what "message" you send about placing caches, though...I wouldn't bury one.

...a little geocaching competition...

You do know that these things (competitions) most always end in a disaster, do you not?

Well thought-out, all encompassing rules; umpire(s); appeal committee; appeal process; enforceable penalties; referee(s); and more that eludes me at this time.

I know, on the face of it, it seems like it would be fun -- and it usually is the first time or two. After that, somebody feels 'cheated' or is a sore loser, somebody will find ways to cheat, tempers start to flair, the name-calling begins......

Sounds like fun!