GPSr to go with iPhone4

We just got started Geocaching only several months ago. Since we began, we have been using an iPhone4 with the Geocaching app to locate GZ to the best of our abilities. We are now looking at getting a dedicated GPSr. Trying to save some money, would it be wise to get a cheaper one that’s accurate without the way points/mapping and paperless caching, given I can accomplish that from the iPhone4? What would be the ups/downs of doing it this way? Or should I just get a nice dedicated GPSr that can handle everything? I’m tired of the iPhone4 losing reception easily, being off mark by a good distance, and not having the ability to enter coords for say a leg of a puzzle cache to the next waypoint.

I have a Garmin Montana and 62s that I use with the iPhone - and while those are nice units you can probably look for something less expensive. All you really need is a unit with a sensitive receive. Beyond that it is a matter of what features you want --which is a personal choice. Everyone will tell you something different.

Although the iPhone handles paperless functions, it can be handy to have that on the unit as well. You can also get mapping programs on the iPhone, but again it's nice to have a gpsr with good mapping features. If you like touch screens then look for a unit with that feature.

I use geosphere on the iPhone because I love the way it works in conjunction with my hand held - a fast and beautiful display; great filtering capabilities; the ability to interface with Navigon for voice directions and routing; and the ability to maintain a database that I can export to my gpsr.

But even the Groundspeak app allows you to enter coordinates for multistages, puzzles, and other uses. So the more you get to know caching on the iPhone, the easier it will be to know what you need in a handheld.

Edited by geodarts

I would get one with all the bells & whistles. If you've geocached enough to realize you need a handheld, then you're probably in this game for the long haul. Since you've been using the iphone that has 3 axis compass....Get a handheld with a 3 axis compass. If you don't...you'll probably hate using it (been there done that).

Lots of GPS's available...just gotta do a lot of research.

My husband and I both have an iphone 4. Our first GPS was an Oregon 450 and it's been nice for over a year now. The only complaint with it - it tends to lock up/shut off from time to time - goes in spurt (even with updated firmware,etc). It has color screen, touch screen, internal antennae...

A few months ago, we bought a 62s.... nice unit. NO touch screen, external antennae (so to speak), color screen.... It hasn't shut off on us yet.... works just about the same as the 450.

I’m tired of the iPhone4 losing reception easily, being off mark by a good distance, and not having the ability to enter coords for say a leg of a puzzle cache to the next waypoint.

I used the iPhone alone a few months when I first started caching and I use it still a great deal since I have acquired a GPS. Having used both I can say that I don't see any lack of accuracy between the iPhone and a dedicated handheld. My iPhone 4 puts me at GZ as reliably as my Garmin Oregon. There are many reasons to invest in a dedicated handheld vs the iPhone 4 but getting closer to the cache ain't one.

Regarding loss of signal, yes, that's a legitimate concern if you're only using the app to look up caches live. If you have saved caches to the app in advance (like you would have to do with a handheld anyway) you can cache with no signal whatsoever....the iPhone 4 has a GPS chip on board and will navigate in the absence of a cell signal.

Your last concern is also commonly voiced by users of the Groundspeak app because they haven't figured out how to do this yet (the question gets asked here quite often, I explained it to someone else earlier this evening). While in the Navigate to Geocache screen (in other words, while you are actively navigating to a cache) tap the little flag icon in the upper right hand corner, next to the Compass icon. That's where you can input additional coordinates. You can also use this feature to, say, mark the location of your car before you go in the woods. Any additional waypoint you add will stay attached to that cache in the app.

Where the iPhone falls short, of course, is battery life and durability...you don't want to risk your phone taking a fatal fall into a creek or onto a rock, mishaps that the average handheld would shrug off. They also take regular AA batteries so you can always carry spares.

If you're going to invest in a handheld, you might as well go with a nice paperless unit. I initially bought a Garmin Etrex Legend HCX and was able to do paperless caching paired with my iPhone, but after a year or so of that I decided I wanted something better and upgraded to the Oregon 550. If you can afford it, and you're sure you're in this for the long haul, do yourself a favor and invest in a nicer unit and avoid spending the money twice.

]

I used the iPhone alone a few months when I first started caching and I use it still a great deal since I have acquired a GPS. Having used both I can say that I don't see any lack of accuracy between the iPhone and a dedicated handheld. My iPhone 4 puts me at GZ as reliably as my Garmin Oregon. There are many reasons to invest in a dedicated handheld vs the iPhone 4 but getting closer to the cache ain't one.

How long have you been using the handheld?

After using the Oregon for a year - there's no way the phone is equally accurate as the handheld units. Sure, it'll get you there after spending 20 minutes wandering around aimlessly.

I can't say how the iPhone 4s compares, but as far as the iPhone 4, the GPS is not as accurate as my GPSMAP 62sc. With clear sky, the 62sc has an accuracy of 9' and the iPhone is 16', sometimes 32'. In the woods the difference is greater. However for at least some caches it's more than adequate and the satellite maps are way better than Garmin's. In some cases it is easier to find the cache with the iPhone because I can see in a detailed satellite image (way more detailed than Garmin's) where the cache should be, even if my location is not showing as as accurately. Urban caches are a good use for the iPhone, where your GPS might not read accurately, but the satellite image will pinpoint the location as accurately as the coords are.

I use both. I mostly use my 62sc, but sometimes, especially for on-the-fly geocaching, I use the iPhone. Plus I always use the iPhone for logging finds, as well as for getting the latest logs and looking at logs beyond the ones stored on the 62sc. Etc.

Thank you for all the replies. I have taken information from each one of you. The additonal waypoints within the geocaching app will be of great help. I can't believe I have overlooked this and not looked at every option *face palm* Given comments here and from research I've done, the GPSMAP 62 series looks like it would be a good choice and worth the purchase for the long haul. As far as the way points within the app...I'm still shaking my head. :rolleyes:

Edited by Team-Facetious