"The Amazing Race" event cache idea

A few weeks ago, a group of us did an "unofficial" event based on the Amazing Race. The gal who set it up had coincided it with her town's celebration. There were only 2-3 stops but it gave me an idea to do a full-fledged Amazing Race event cache.

Has anyone done something like this? How did it go?

I want it to be a almost "Regional-event" type of thing. I'm in Southern Oregon and I think cachers from the Portland area, along with San Francisco/Sacramento area could be involved.

If you have done a large event, I'd like to hear from you.

The Rallye Club of Silicon Vallye just had our 7th annual The Amazing Rallye, which is a gimmick rallye themed after The Amazing Race. One of the things that we discovered is that most of the events actually used on The Amazing Race take too much time for us to use. Even scaled down versions of the events take too much time. The best compromise we found was using events like those used in the Minute To Win It show. Those events had the right feel, but could be completed in a short amount of time, leaving enough time to do other things too.

Keep in mind that an event is "a gathering of geocachers". Races are games offered at the event; they usually break up the "gathering".

Be sure that the event features gathering time, and is opened to those who aren't interested in the games. Usually the gathering time is post-game awards +food time. It can be pre-game as well.

See Finders Fest for a classic example of this. Throughout the day, teams run the Gauntlet, but the heart of the event is the evening feed + awards. Far more people don't participate in the games (gauntlet, poker run etc) then do. Folks gather...

fixed link

Edited by Isonzo Karst