Same group more than one category.... ?

Torgut

So, categorically speaking, this is a group effort, where a group of members is categorised as a group, but a category is a group by itself, with only one category managed by one group, while a member can be in many groups, yet categorically only in one group at a time, while a waymark can be placed in many categories at any time, which are administered by different groups all the time, if categorised by the same members in different groups as categorically different, lest the category become unmanageable.

Edited by Ianatlarge

This is obviously a relic from the early days of the site development. Maybe the original plan was to let a group manage more than one category and later Groundspeak decided not to go that way.

Unfortunately and for no apparent reason.

This is obviously a relic from the early days of the site development. Maybe the original plan was to let a group manage more than one category and later Groundspeak decided not to go that way.

Let's say Larry, Curly and Moe decide to start two categories from one group. They start a "Three Stooges" category and a "Three's Company" category. Everything goes swimmingly for years until one day Curly learns that Joyce DeWitt said something mean about bald people. Well he isn't going to support that anymore so he quits. Now both groups would drop to two members. Both go on probation. That doesn't work.

Now along comes Shemp and he joins the group. But he has no interest in the "Three's Company" part. Why should he have to deal with that?

Now along comes Terry (she replaced Cindy, who replaced Chrissy) to lend a hand to the "Three's Company" group. She has no interest in the "Three Stooges". Same problem.

When new people join the group they would get stuck with all of the categories that group is tending to. This is just two categories so imagine dozens. I think this should illustrate the problems with having a single group manage several categories.

Let's say Larry, Curly and Moe decide to start two categories from one group. They start a "Three Stooges" category and a "Three's Company" category. Everything goes swimmingly for years until one day Curly learns that Joyce DeWitt said something mean about bald people. Well he isn't going to support that anymore so he quits. Now both groups would drop to two members. Both go on probation. That doesn't work.

Now along comes Shemp and he joins the group. But he has no interest in the "Three's Company" part. Why should he have to deal with that?

Now along comes Terry (she replaced Cindy, who replaced Chrissy) to lend a hand to the "Three's Company" group. She has no interest in the "Three Stooges". Same problem.

When new people join the group they would get stuck with all of the categories that group is tending to. This is just two categories so imagine dozens. I think this should illustrate the problems with having a single group manage several categories.

Good explanation. I still don't agree but at least I understand. Just for the record, I don't agree because I believe the option should be on the people's side. But fine, I see the point.

Good explanation. I still don't agree but at least I understand. Just for the record, I don't agree because I believe the option should be on the people's side. But fine, I see the point.