Co-ordinates for hiding a cache

The3Earligos

I cache with my phone (HTC Desire HD), which I appreciate isnt the most accurate GPS device.

So would is it acceptable to use the co-ordinates from an online map like http://itouchmap.com/ ?

I have done a bit of a reconciliation between the itouchmap, my phone and my wife's phone and all results are different, but pretty similar, to within less than 10ft.

Would I be best to average these 3 results, or just go with the itouch map?

Some of the locations I am thinking about have a bit of tree cover so that will only make my GPS results worse!

Thanks.

According to the guidelines, "You must visit the cache location and obtain the coordinates with a GPS device." If your own GPS device isn't accurate enough (or you don't know how to use it to obtain accurate coordinates), then perhaps someone local to you can loan you their GPS device (or show you how to obtain accurate coordinates).

Yes, exactly, GPS devices are WAY more accurate. Just make sure there aren't trees in the way.

Trees in the way aren't really the problem -- a heavy or thick canopy, now that may be a problem. Canyons, natural or man-made, can also deal you monkey wrenches. Often, being very close to a tall building is a problem.

In saying that maps are bad, the positions marked on the google maps, saved as static maps in the c:geo android app are spot on!

Mostly, yes, but not uniformly so across the globe. Some Google map tiles/areas/whatever seem to be poorly geolocated and should probably not be used for anything but entertainment. Thus, with inaccuracies in Google Maps, in the CO's GPS and your own GPS, nothing can ever be spot on. You have to go to the general area and search ;)

Also remember that the coordinates on cache listings cannot give you EXACT placements anyway. The number format is too coarse. Here's an example. The coordinates to the yellow spot in the picture (a waymark, sort of) was pulled from the official national listings with an accuracy of +/- 3 cm (that's about an inch). Here's how it looks when you view the waypoint in Google Maps with DDD MM.MMM coordinates entered:

GC2ZWKP_wp.jpg

It's "spot on" for most people, but actually it's not.

Wow. that picture and your decription........................................................ Why don't they just see that and move it over?????????

I'm sorry, I must really be dense today because I do not understand what you are suggesting. Can you please explain what you mean? What should be moved and why?

Reminds me of the geocacher who logged a NGS Triangulation station with his IPhone. And complained that the triangulation mark was 30 feet off and should be moved. The coords for the triangulation station are accurate to far better than a tenth of an inch.

Some people do not understand that precision is meaningless without accuracy.