Magellan GC does not work off batteries

I bought this device as my first GPS as I have been using my iPhone to cache but find the battery goes in no time.

Anyway I got my device out the box and found it will only work when its connected to my laptop. Has anybody else had this problem?

I have tried new batteries, cleaning the connectors and updating the device but no such luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as a newbie to GPS devices I'm afraid I may have to return the item :-(

I love my Explorist. You may want to search existing forum threads for this answer - I know I've seen it here somewhere.

I think the solution was to run a software update - mine needed it when I got it, but you should search the forum.

Update: searched forum but had a 1000 returns - ugh!

Have you gone to the Magellan forum?

Edited by scrapcat

Has this happened with more than just one set or brand of batteries? If just one set, it could have been a single bad battery killing the good one.

Could you have mistakenly included a dead one, using it in conjunction with a new one?

It almost sounds like a dead short in the battery leads. If such is the case, it generally is not consumer repairable.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee