Geocoins and other event prizes - how do you organise it?

mamoreb

Hi,

This topic might not primarily be about geocoins, but is related... People regularly ask in this forum for geocoins to be given away as door prizes and other types of prizes at events. What sort of things do you do to select the winners of the geocoins?

I'm helping out with a local event, and I wouldn't mind giving out some geocoins as prizes. I just can't think of fun and practical ways of determining who the winners are... :anicute:

We give everyone who signs in a raffle ticket--every person not just one per team. Then near the end of the event I have some of the kids take turns drawing the tickets out of the box. At one of my bigger events I got hoarse calling out the numbers LOL When their number is called they take their choice at the prize table.

At the last big event I attended they taped the ftf cache info in little strips of paper to the bottoms of the chairs. I think some people guessed that had been done though as all the chairs were examined pretty early on.

Most of the events I have been to have been raffle tickets.

One event, we were told ahead of time that teams could bring in their most creative caches and we would vote on the winners. That was fun.

Another event we signed our names on a flag and were given coordinates. We were supposed to place our flag in the ground where we believed the coordinates were. There was also a tree with looked to be a dog leash around it. Once everyone placed their flags, the coordinator attached another leash to the one on the tree. Whoever's flag was closest to the end of the leash (the given coordinates) won. That was really fun and neat to see how GPSes vary. Flags were certainty scattered.

I'm sure there are plenty of other fun things to do :)

Oh yeah wheresmymarbles is talking about what we call closest to the pin. Prior to the event we take two long pieces of string and attach them to immovable objects so that they cross at some point. Then we use different brands of gps units and average the coords at that cross point. The coords are posted and then people put their name on a flag and try to figure out where that point will be. The flags are color coded to brand too. One year a cacher just went out and looked around. She then stuck it in the ground and actually won! LOL

One year all the magellans were on one side of the string and the garmins on the other--very interesting. LOL

At one event something similar was done but they put I think 10 flags scattered around a field. You were supposed to go to each flag and figure out the coords. You turned in your 10 locations and someone plugged those into a computer program. The closest to the coords that the organizers had preprogrammed won.