Considering replacing old GPSMAP 60CSX with GPSAP 62 or 78 series

I finally managed to permanently damage my old and trusty Garmin GPSMAP 60 CSX and have been looking around for a suitable replacement.

Sofar I've been reading up on the Garmin GPSMAP 62 and 78 series, assuming those models will function similar to the GPS I have been using.

While there is no shortage on information, before I will select one to buy, I would love to collect some opinions of folks who have experienced these various models and are capable of comparing them to each other.

Or maybe I should broaden my search to include other models?

Love to hear from you.

We've been using a 62s for around eighteen months: It's an excellent unit, but it turns out that even the most minor repairs cost a small fortune.

The plastic buttons have stared to wear and flake, and Garmin will only offer a 'refurbished' unit, at around half the cost of the original. That's way too much to pay for a little plastic keypad, so I think we'll use it until it stops being waterproof, then sell it for spares.

The paperless caching, electronic compass, speed and accuracy are all good, but don't expect it to last much longer than the warranty.

I loved my 60Cx and used it till the power button quit working then bought a Colorado, which I loved. I then moved to my 62s and it combines all that I loved in my 60Cx and the improved functions (such as paperless) of the CO. You will love the 62s if you go that route.

We've been using a 62s for around eighteen months: It's an excellent unit, but it turns out that even the most minor repairs cost a small fortune.

The plastic buttons have stared to wear and flake, and Garmin will only offer a 'refurbished' unit, at around half the cost of the original. That's way too much to pay for a little plastic keypad, so I think we'll use it until it stops being waterproof, then sell it for spares.

The paperless caching, electronic compass, speed and accuracy are all good, but don't expect it to last much longer than the warranty.

Last week on ebay I say a button overlay (factory) for around $35....they also had a new front case section containing the glass for around $45.

That's a shame. The 60CSx is basically bulletproof. I know mine is. I'd like to know what the OP did to "break" his. <_<