Garmin 60Cx

trvlnmny

On my Oregon, I have use the Distance to Destination and Pointer text fields on the Map screen. That way I have all the informtion I need on one screen.

I used to use the 60Cx (great unit by the way) and don't remember for sure what fields I had set up. You'll definitely want Distance to Destination though. I used the compass screen most often on that one for navigating to a cache.

The compass screen, and the distance to destination.

Follow the arrow, but make sure the distance is going down. Sometimes the arrow gets wonky/reversed.

PS, Hold the device flat.

If the arrow flakes out, stand it up for a few seconds and lay it flat again.

If it is still messed up, walk along a little farther and see if it gets better.

If it contines, consider doing the 'calibrate compass' thing.

The compass screen, and the distance to destination.

Follow the arrow, but make sure the distance is going down. Sometimes the arrow gets wonky/reversed.

PS, Hold the device flat.

If the arrow flakes out, stand it up for a few seconds and lay it flat again.

If it is still messed up, walk along a little farther and see if it gets better.

If it contines, consider doing the 'calibrate compass' thing.

It says CX, not CSX... No electronic compass installed = no calibration. Antenna type wants to be vertical as well, not horizontal as in 'Flat'.

On the 'compass' display page, I use additional fields showing accuracy, bearing and distance. Bearing and the 'compass display' show mostly the same information with the 'compass' also showing your heading WHEN you are moving. It can be handy to have a declination corrected compass for establishing a proper direction to travel and for triangulation when things seem wonky at times.

My 60cx works like a train, without all the fancy bells and whistles like altimeter and e-compass since I have discrete units for that. Saves a lot on battery life too!

Doug 7rxc