Updating the GPSmap 60CSx

How do I update my GPSmap 60CSx? I've done it before but can't remember what I did. I downloaded Garmin WebUpdater and fired it up. I then plugged the GPS device into the computer via USB and turned it on. Windows recognizes the USB connection. I then tell WebUpdater to find the device. It finds nothing. From what I recall, I thought I had to put the GPS device into a certain mode, but I can't find it or remember what I did...

How do I update my GPSmap 60CSx? I've done it before but can't remember what I did. I downloaded Garmin WebUpdater and fired it up. I then plugged the GPS device into the computer via USB and turned it on. Windows recognizes the USB connection. I then tell WebUpdater to find the device. It finds nothing. From what I recall, I thought I had to put the GPS device into a certain mode, but I can't find it or remember what I did...

Update what? If you mean the system software, it sounds like you tried to do it the correct way with WebUpdater. Try downloading a new USB driver from the Garmin site (Here). If you mean updating maps, you probably are thinking of mass storage mode (main menu/setup/interface), but a card reader would be much faster (if you have a microSD card installed).

Edited by Klatch

There are reports that V4.0.?? of the communicator plugin doesn't work with macs so V3.0.1?? is the one of choice for mac users. I don't think webupdater will do much for your intent to upload maps. Using some version of MapSource or BaseCamp is the most common tool for uploading maps. Look through the changelogs to see which version(s) suits your needs.

Oh wow, it was the cord! I had a spare one laying around and decided to connect that one to my GOSmap 60CSx and it worked! Who would have thought...

I've read, but can't confirm, that Garmin brand USB cords are not wired the same as generic USB cords. I've had problems using other cords with my Garmins, but never had problems using a Garmin cord. Could be your GOSmap cord is wired the same way.

Oh wow, it was the cord! I had a spare one laying around and decided to connect that one to my GOSmap 60CSx and it worked! Who would have thought...

I've read, but can't confirm, that Garmin brand USB cords are not wired the same as generic USB cords. I've had problems using other cords with my Garmins, but never had problems using a Garmin cord. Could be your GOSmap cord is wired the same way.

Not so. I've used my 76CSx(60CSx in a different case) with many different generic USB cords without incident. The newer generation of Garmin units may be different.