Something I cannot stand.

That kinda makes things worse, telling us that it's not in the source code, not invisible text nor tiny coords. When I can't identify what I'm supposed to "solve", at least I know I can try a couple of things while I think it over. A description that says "there's nothing to see here" shuts me down. At first, I thought "that's a good idea to tell people, up front, that they don't have to tear the page apart", but then I realized it's kind of obnoxious (no offense :ph34r:).

That's exactly what I thought when I went to the page. I thought, "well, there nothing I can do here..."

If the puzzle is solvable, that's not true.

I never said the puzzle wasn't solvable. What I said was that when I went to that particular puzzle, and read the description, that I felt as if I couldn't do anything with it.

Sometimes, just getting started and ruling out things on my own helps me get into puzzle mode. But with my first few 'tricks' takes away, I wouldn't even know where to start...

That's why I'm no good at puzzles...

Hey, OP, I must have had you in mind when I created this one:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9649ff63-38b1-4a9b-88e5-3e501663d0c9

DZ

cool.gif

At times though it is neat when you are able to step inside the head of the puzzle maker. This one took me about 5 minutes, I was just able to track down the clever part of it. There are others that really do have nothing on the page, which is hilarious at times. I love this cache, it took me a little bit, but it was a fun one to solve!

Hey, OP, I must have had you in mind when I created this one:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9649ff63-38b1-4a9b-88e5-3e501663d0c9

DZ

cool.gif

At times though it is neat when you are able to step inside the head of the puzzle maker. This one took me about 5 minutes, I was just able to track down the clever part of it. There are others that really do have nothing on the page, which is hilarious at times.

I've only done one where I got actual coordinates. Some cachers at a CITO event were talking about a cache in the park, as we went to go find it. They said "oh, the coords were tiny pixels in the picture". They were somehow able to suppress thrill they had when solving that puzzle, as they told me about it. Later I looked at the picture, and sure enough, tiny coords.

For this kind of "picture only" puzzle, I don't see a lot of enthusiasm for the puzzle. Most cache logs aren't super wordy anyway, logs on puzzles often don't mention solving the puzzle at all, let alone how enjoyable they were to do. But are there a lot of people who love "photo of a bird" puzzles? From my experience, most people are like the OP.

Edited by kunarion