which android to buy?

pekova

I decided to buy an android phone to help with geocaching after all (instead of a gps) an would like to know which one would you suggest? I've used a friend's samsung and it ended badly. Could not get a signal from the gps anywhere. I really liked the g:ceo app but I guess you need a phone which actually has no serious problems with it's gps.

heard the htc's are pretty good. Don't want an iPhone, too expensive for my taste. Anything else you'd suggest?

I started caching with a Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 and c:geo.

It worked well for urban caches but was next to useless when under any sort of tree cover.

I have since tweaked the phone (rooted with customized GPS config) and the GPS in it works better than before, but leaves a lot to be desired.

I now simply use the phone with the NeonGeo app for info and logging the finds and use a dedicated GPS unit (Garmin eTrex 20) as my main tool.

ALL phones will have trouble with GPS as generall theyre only used for Car Navigation. Garmin do have phones out - but don't know if they're android based - thats the best phone/GPS hybrid you're going to get.

I use Neongeo on my android tablet in the car to get me where I need to be and my Garmin 62s to get me to the cache.

Your friend may have had issues with a Samsung, but they still are ranked out there as the best android phones - Galaxy SII and now the Galaxy S3...... if you can afford it.....

Edited by bladesedge