log etiquette/spamming

BulldogHuxley

Yesterday the following appeared as a note in the website log for a cache that I own:

quote:
Fellow cacher BLACK LIGHTNING retrieved the 'LOUISVILLE CARDINAL RED' Travel Bug from 'The Dillon Lake Cache' on June 23. They logged the retrieval on the cache page but never on the TB page. It's not been heard from since. If anyone knows BLACK LIGHTNING, please tell them to log the TB and place it in a cache to keep it moving. Or provide me contact information. Thanks fellow cachers! -ARF

A quick look at the logs for other caches around mine found it posted in all of those too. Since it was not relevant to my cache (I consider it spam), I deleted the entry. Apparently other cache owners deleted the note from their cache logs also, likely for the same reason.

Today I got this e-mail message from the person that posted the note:

quote:
I posted notes on caches trying to locate the holder of a missing travel bug. A few of those caches belonged to you. You immediately deleted the notes. Were you insulted, or what? I've had fellow cachers post notes on MY caches looking for lost ANIMALS, for heavens sake! But, not to worry, while all but one cacher deleted the notes, the one that didn't KNOWS the cacher who is holding the missing TB and emailed me to say he would contact hime to get the bug on its way asap. Many thanks to him, and no thanks to the rest of you. I won't be caching in Ohio, and I'll leave instructions that my TB's didn't lose anything there as well.

Are there guidelines for posting in the logs? If (s)he'd e-mailed me, explaining the situation, I would have granted him permission to post a non-relevant log for a period of time. Thoughts or comments?

You were completely within your rights to delete the message. This shotgun approach of posting a bunch of duplicate logs on various cache pages, hoping to catch someone's attention, is not acceptable and should not be condoned. If everyone did this who had a tbug go missing, the logs would be totally trashed. You called it spamming, and that's exactly what it was.

On one or two occasions, I've needed to post a non-relevant log to a cache page (for software testing purposes). I request permission from the cache owner first.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

As the cache reviewer for your area, I monitored this situation with interest. I do consider the amount of notes to be "spamming" (literally dozens of cache pages, on caches more than an hours' drive from where the travel bug was last seen). This is a very different situation than, for example, leaving a single note on the cache where the bug was last seen, or posting a note in the regional forum.

The log had absolutely nothing to do with your cache. As the cache owner you are within your rights to delete any log that you feel does not belong there.

Perhaps if the person who posted the note had actually mailed the other geocacher with the username SPELLED CORRECTLY, they might have resolved the travel bug issue privately.

If you receive further communication from this geocacher please feel free to forward it to me privately should its contents concern you.

EDIT: A quick check discloses plenty of these notes still posted on caches in your area... I found five in a quick search. It is not true that 'all but one' have been deleted.

|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|

Keystone Approver, Geocaching.com Admin

"Eschewing Entropy and Ensuring Enthalpy in the Groundspeak Forums"

[This message was edited by Keystone Approver on November 04, 2003 at 01:51 PM.]