Oregon 450T vs. ETrex Venture HC

My first receiver was a Garmin ETrex Venture HC and I love it. Very simple and basic, very user friendly. I got a Garmin Oregon 450T for Christmas and while I love using it, I still don't know how to get found caches off of it. The owners book is absolutely worthless on how to do it. My friend tells me things about my Oregon but I don't understand a word he says. Why does Garmin think that the more you pay, the less user friendly they have to make it?

My first receiver was a Garmin ETrex Venture HC and I love it. Very simple and basic, very user friendly. I got a Garmin Oregon 450T for Christmas and while I love using it, I still don't know how to get found caches off of it. The owners book is absolutely worthless on how to do it. My friend tells me things about my Oregon but I don't understand a word he says. Why does Garmin think that the more you pay, the less user friendly they have to make it?

You've gotten a jet fighter after using a piper cub.

The Oregon uses different technology to handle GPX files. Treat it like a mass storage device and you can delete caches from it.

Stick with it and enjoy paperless. "The owners book is absolutely worthless" Par for the course for all of them. Too cheap to pay tech writers and print what they say. "I still don't know how to get found caches off of it". Give Garmin HELL about that and maybe they will finally fix that so I can do that;)

Edited by kentwoodkrew

There's a great Oregon Wiki Which should answer most of your questions. It's the manual Garmin should have made.

The short answer to your question is that you have to delete the GPX file for those caches from your Oregon while connected to a computer. They are stored in your Garmin/GPX folder.

There is also a geocache_visits.txt file which keeps a list of all the caches you have marked as found (or not found) and contains your field notes. You can delete those entries as well, if you wish.