Geocaching Blogs

I recently received an email from a person contacting me through my geocaching blog asking to syndicate my content on his site, OutdoorHub.com. According to his email, he found out about my blog on outdoorblogs.net - which upon investigation turns out to be yet another one of this guy's many spam sites.

If you have a geocaching or other outdoor related blog, I'm not going to tell you what to do or how to respond, but I am going to tell you to please be cautious in dealing with guy and this network of spam sites. From what I can tell, this guy sets up dozens of outdoor-related websites like the ones mentioned above, and then simply slaps advertising around other people's content to make money.

In addition, if you look at the "terms" associated with agreeing to "publish" your content with him, you'll see statements like these:

"Although Outdoor Hub will not be liable for your losses caused by any unauthorized use of your account, you shall be liable for the losses of Outdoor Hub or others due to such unauthorized use."

"You further agree to give us the royalty-free right to use, incorporate, exhibit, reproduce, distribute, promote, publicize, and otherwise exploit your Likeness in any and all media, now known and hereafter devised, throughout the world and in perpetuity in connection with your Contribution."

"The above licenses granted by you in Content you submit to the Service are perpetual and irrevocable."

This stuff is bad news, people. If you get contacted by them, please think twice before you get involved.

Sounded very familiar. I'm going to say they followed me on Twitter, and I follow almost everyone back. But they must have unfollowed me at some point, and I always return that favor by blocking the account in question. :laughing:

Sure doesn't sound like it's for me. It is possible it's Standard Operating procedure for sites that syndicate blog content. I don't know. Anyone have a blog about Scrap booking or stamp collecting or something, and have seen something like this?