Geocaches not showing up on Garmin Oregon 300?

Hi,

I hope someone can help that may have experienced this same problem.

I have a Garmin Oregon 300 GPSr, and when I run a pocket query say using nearly all cache types, container types, etc. (most of the default options on the pq), download and unzip it, then transfer it to my Oregon 300. Sometimes, in some areas, I'm finding that the Oregon doesn't display all of the gc's in a particular area. I know this because I also have the Groundspeak Geocaching app on my iPhone 3GS, and it displays far more gcs in a location than the pq I've downloaded does.

Any ideas as to why this might be happening? It's rather frustrating, and I can't pinpoint the specifics of it to be able to try and fix it. Any help would be much, much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

RandomPhoto

Same problem here from time to time, no pattern and not consistent in occurrence. I have not found a solution to it yet, but seems to happen less often if I go through the step of safely removing hardware before disconnecting the GPS from the computer. Have also taken to removing all waypoints before loading. Have friends with other models of the Oregon and it does not seem to happen to those models. Always assumed it was something I was doing. Will be watching this thread to see if anyone else has any ideas.

Thanks for all the replies, guys!

As to how I load the pq, I just unzip it from the email (usually maintain the 500 limit per pq, and usually keep the total of caches under 1000, sometimes 1500). Then I manually drag it from the unzipped folder to the Garmin/GPX folder on the Oregon. I'm on a iMac, running OSX 10.7.3. I don't think it has to do with the method I'm using to copy the pq's to the Oregon, but I guess it could be. Oh, and the Oregon 300 is up to date on the latest software rev as well (don't remember what number it is, but checked it this evening via the Garmin web updater program).

jcar - I'll try removing waypoints before loading the next pq, and see if that helps.

And New Jersey TJ - No, I've not specifically examined the pq's vs the Groundspeak app to try and 'hone' it down, mainly because it doesn't seem to happen all of the time, only sporadically. Sometimes the two are exact, in that all of the caches in a certain area seem to match what I'm seeing on my iPhone app, but it's usually when I'm out hunting that I'm looking at both of them, so don't take the time to completely verify it. If I get some time, I'll try and do that.

Again, thanks for the replies & tips, and I would love to hear from anyone else if they've experienced the same problem and have any other suggestions/solutions.

I have experienced a PQ not containing all the caches I thought it would. I think what was going on is that I did a PQ by selecting a radius around a cache. If there are more caches within the radius than what is set in the PQs cache limit, then obviously some caches must be excluded. I haven't tested this to prove it out, but it seems to make sense.

This is a known problem. Several other threads discuss it. When adding a new GPX file, first delete the unneeded ones, then disconnect and reboot the GPSr, then reconnect and add the new GPX file. Otherwise, you will frequently find random caches (or sometimes all of them) missing...even though you can see the files on there.

This is a known problem. Several other threads discuss it. When adding a new GPX file, first delete the unneeded ones, then disconnect and reboot the GPSr, then reconnect and add the new GPX file. Otherwise, you will frequently find random caches (or sometimes all of them) missing...even though you can see the files on there.

Triple Crown,

Thanks! I did search the forums before posting, but maybe didn't form my search correctly, as I didn't find anything previously. I'll definitely go that route and give it a try. I've always deleted the previous files before copying over the new ones, but have not disconnected and rebooted the Oregon in between the old and new. Should all waypoints be deleted as well as the pq caches (via the GPSr interface?) before copying the new files over?

Thanks again in advance,

The reason you have to reboot is that the unit reads the GPX into memory if it detects the file has changed, so rebooting with the file deleted clears the memory area ready for a new GPX.

Waypoints are a separate memory area, I generally only clear them if its getting a bit full as loading new GPX doesn't clear them only adds/overwrites.