Smart Phone Geocaching

timk54

Hi everyone,

It has been a while. We are getting back into Geocahing after a 6 year lay off. It's fun to use my Samsung Stratosphere smart phone to cache but the compass gets erratic when I get close to a cache. Is it a short coming of the smart phone or is there a way to make it more reliable?

Thank you

Timk54

It's fun to use my Samsung Stratosphere smart phone to cache but the compass gets erratic when I get close to a cache.

How close are we talking? If it's happening within about 30 feet of the cache, then it's pretty normal for any GPS device. It's just the position being reported by your GPS that's bouncing around due to reception conditions, satellite contellation positions, etc. Since your "position" is moving around relative to the cache coordinates, the compass direction will keep changing.

If this is happening hundreds of feet away, then there may be a problem with your device. I'm not familiar with Android devices, but maybe there's a way to recalibrate the compass.

It's fun to use my Samsung Stratosphere smart phone to cache but the compass gets erratic when I get close to a cache.

How close are we talking? If it's happening within about 30 feet of the cache, then it's pretty normal for any GPS device. It's just the position being reported by your GPS that's bouncing around due to reception conditions, satellite contellation positions, etc. Since your "position" is moving around relative to the cache coordinates, the compass direction will keep changing.

If this is happening hundreds of feet away, then there may be a problem with your device. I'm not familiar with Android devices, but maybe there's a way to recalibrate the compass.

The compass mode gets me to 30 feet and sometimes closer then gets erratic. I actually had it to 2 feet one time and found the cache.

I have the Android Razr and under PERFECT circumstances my compass will get me within 5 feet. Perfect circumstances don't happen to often! If I can get within 20-30 feet I'm happy. 10-15 feet I'm downright giddy! :lol:

I also have a garmin etrex vista cx. I haven't used it for 6 years. will a hand held work better to get me closer to the cache? It's that now that I have used CGEO with my android it is so easy.

Hi everyone,

It has been a while. We are getting back into Geocahing after a 6 year lay off. It's fun to use my Samsung Stratosphere smart phone to cache but the compass gets erratic when I get close to a cache. Is it a short coming of the smart phone or is there a way to make it more reliable?

Thank you

Timk54

So I had to Google it, and it's a Droid, apparently? Could very well be Samsung specific. Are you using the official Geocaching app, or a different one?

The compass mode gets me to 30 feet and sometimes closer then gets erratic. I actually had it to 2 feet one time and found the cache.

That sounds normal for any GPS unit. All consumer grade GPS units have a margin of error of about +10-15 feet. So, you have to imagine GZ as a circle of about 20-30 feet in diameter. Sometimes the unit will be rock solid right up to 0.0 feet. Other times, you'll get inside of that 30 foot circle and the GPS will think you're "there" and will bounce around because it really can't pinpoint you any closer.

Smartphones lack real compasses - as do most cheap GPSr's. If you stop moving or lose 'sight' of the satellites, the (compass) pointer in whatever app you're using will start to jump around. Thats because it knows where you are at that point and where you just were, so it knows which direction to point your pointer. Stop moving and it has no idea where way you're facing. If you have issues with jumping compasses, you have to keep moving around... go back to the last place it was working right and move around where the overheard cover is less dense.

My GPS has 3 inbuilt actual compasses, so even when I'm standing still I know in which direction the cache is. I do remember taking my first GPSr outside the first time and standing on the patio, and saying 'Its not working, the pointer is spinning around'. Soon as I started moving back inside however it flicked around to the right direction and I realised what went on. Just had to keep moving for it to know which direction the cache was.