eTrex 20 working with overlapping GPX

Ratone

I use just one PQ and one GPX file in my eTrex 20.

Now I am trying to use two PQ and two GPX of to close areas. Some of the caches are in the two GPX and I am trying to understand how does the GPSr work in this case.

I have ben making tests and it *seems* that when a geocache is in both GPX the version showed in the screen is the one belonging to the oldest GPX file. Anyone can confirm that this is correct in all cases?

Mmm...maybe you did not understand me because english is not my mother tonge.

The question, put simply might be:

If there are two GPX in the GPX folder with one common cache and some fields of that particular cache are different (i.e. last 5 logs or coordinates, or hint added)...which one is shown on the GPS?

In my tests, seems that the data shown is from the GPX file that is older (meaning older not the date/time inside the XML code of the GPX but the GPX file date/time as seen in your PC with right button->properties), but I have no scientific evidence.

If there are two GPX in the GPX folder with one common cache and some fields of that particular cache are different (i.e. last 5 logs or coordinates, or hint added)...which one is shown on the GPS?

In my tests, seems that the data shown is from the GPX file that is older (meaning older not the date/time inside the XML code of the GPX but the GPX file date/time as seen in your PC with right button->properties), but I have no scientific evidence.

I have an Oregon 550 and I am sure the loading strategy will be the same. I am fairly sure you are correct but I have't done exhaustive teste. I have certainly had problems where I have solved a puzzle or multi but still have old data because the cache exists in an earlier GPX file.

Right, I understand now...

I can't say I've ever tried to duplicate a PQ to my Etrex 20. I seldom load more than 30 or so caches at any one time - just enough for the area I'm visiting, I then clear them out at the end of the 'event'. Before I had the E20 I'd download certain cache info to an old Pocket PC and would take that with me on caching trips. I did notice that when I'd updated, or refreshed the saved cache data to it, the previous / older info was retained rather than the newer stuff. So maybe the Etrex range does the same??

Maybe others can give you a more informed answer.

Best regards,

from

Croesgadwr,

a North Wales geocacher.

Firstly, your wording was a little awkward in you original post but it was easy enough to understand what you were asking. You post was MUCH better than one I would do in Spanish. :D

I didn't reply because I have never come up with the situation so all I could do is a few tests which is what you have already done.

While I hate to suggest spending more money for additional software, this is the ideal situation for GSAK if you are not on a Mac. You load both PQs directly into the GSAK database and it will simply update any individual caches that are contained in both PQs. You then use GSAK to send the combined GPX file to the eTrex 20. This exactly the reason I have and use GSAK.

I might add, that even if you are on a Mac you can run GSAK in a Windows virtual box on the Mac. My brother runs it in that configuration with no problems. But to do this you need a copy of Windows (Win XP is good enough).

Did you ask Garmin support? That might shed light on the subject. Then again it might not.

Thanks, amigos.

No, I did not asked Garmin support. This is because there are much more expertise out there and especially in a forum of heavy users like this one. Furthermore, it's not the first time I try to get help with a gadget and found at the other side of the line too many questions and too little knowledge.

On the other hand, since I already made some tests the answers to this could be nice to know for other geocachers.

I use a legal copy of GSAK and am aware about it helps a great deal to upload to the GPSr the most updated info; my question is more theoretical than practical though and raised to my mind after a change coordinates log.

Has any of you made similar tests in eTrex 1/2/3, Oregon and alikes?