what happened to my sd card?

Mole60

A couple of years ago, I put an sd card into my Colorado 300 and downloaded a map of Singapore on it because I was going there to cache. After doing that, each time connected the GPSr to my computer to download caches (in my home province of BC) using the Send to GPS button on the cache page, the window that opened up would find two connected devices -- my Colorado and my sd card. I would select my Colorado and the cache would download. Everything was okay. Then ... a few months ago, I discovered that the Send to GPS window did not show two devices although I had not removed my sd card from the GPSr. Now I haven't tested it out as I have not travelled back to Singapore since, so I don't know what would happen if I tried downloading Singapore caches. Like would the GPSr find the map on the card? Maybe this is a question just thrown out there with nothing much for you guys on the forum to comment upon. But I just thought I would put it out there. Thanks.

In addition to what eusty said;

Have you tried going to the map screen and panning over to Singapore (this may take a couple of minutes depending on your zoom level) to see if the GPS still has access to the maps?

Have you checked to see if the SD card is still in the unit?

Have you tried reseating (removing and inserting) the SD card?

Well, I looked and guess what ... no card! I think it fell out when I opened the back of the Colorado to change batteries. Done that before! So now, two questions I need answers to.

I need to buy a new card. Can you help me because I have forgotten -- what size card would be best to get?

And I am travelling to Singapore later this year and will need to download the map. I cannot remember where I got a free one the last time.

Well, I looked and guess what ... no card! I think it fell out when I opened the back of the Colorado to change batteries. Done that before! So now, two questions I need answers to.

I need to buy a new card. Can you help me because I have forgotten -- what size card would be best to get?

And I am travelling to Singapore later this year and will need to download the map. I cannot remember where I got a free one the last time.

Card size 32GB or less. Only 4GB can be used for vector maps.

Maps from garmin.openstreetmap.nl.

Be sure to lock the little silver latch next time.

Thanks, Seldom_sn. Wow, 32 GBs. Didn't think it had to be that big. But okay.

As for "Be sure to lock the little silver latch next time." It wasn't the little latch as the cover on my unit is very snug. However, I'd like to warn others with Colorado 300s that when they remove the back cover to change batteries, it exposes the sd slot at the bottom of the unit, and that is when the card can just fall out. So check that it is still in there before replacing the cover. And, yes, lock the latch, of course. ;-)

Thanks, Seldom_sn. Wow, 32 GBs. Didn't think it had to be that big. But okay.

As for "Be sure to lock the little silver latch next time." It wasn't the little latch as the cover on my unit is very snug. However, I'd like to warn others with Colorado 300s that when they remove the back cover to change batteries, it exposes the sd slot at the bottom of the unit, and that is when the card can just fall out. So check that it is still in there before replacing the cover. And, yes, lock the latch, of course. ;-)

Don't own a CO, but assumed it had the same latch as my other handhelds. The microSD sits under a little silver clip that slides. On my OR down is locked, up is open. Am I wrong about the CO?

I put that card in some years ago, so I don't remember if it clicks in like in other gadgets. But I do remember it falling out once when I opened the cover and I was lucky that I noticed it then. The CO doesn't have any little clip holding in the card.

Well, I just tried putting in a card and there is a little click. So I don't know how it fell the other time. But I will be careful not to accidentally unclick or knock it out.

@ sussamb - thanks for clarifying the size required. Useful info.

Edited by Mole60