Funny Geocaching Stories!

We found something the otherday that we are still laughing about and wanted to share!

We are newer to geocaching...so we havent seen it all yet :P

The other day we were looking for a 1.5/1.5 regular placed by a local park association.

It had a number of logs with people saying it was an easy find.

So we found GZ which was just a patch of bushes and tall trees in the middle of a flat field. We started looking at all the obvious and not obvious possible spots with no luck.

Just we were about to leave my sister looks up and low and behold, somehow, someone had taken the time to hoist the ammo can AT LEAST 30 feet up this tall tree. April fools joke?

We will post a pick later...got some great ones. We asked another finder if it had been up a tree when they found it and they comfirmed it used to be on the ground.

This would have been more annoying but we had so much fun for the next hour or so laughing about how the heck it got up there, and why...and how to get it down, and just what was in that box, and what should the rating be now, ect.

I have to say it is very tempting to see if we can find a way to get it down :lol:

We took a pic of the box in the tree and sent it to the CO.

What's the funniest thing that ever happened to you while geocaching?

Edited by TeamTwoStar

I love tree caches! =) Something similar happened to my team. One of us suggested look up, and we bounded to the cache, haha.

I'd have to say the funniest cache that we've had was called No Dumping in Grand Island, NY. (GC20CJQ) Everyone should check that cache out if you want a good laugh. =P

SPOILER ALERT: If you live near, or visit, the Sammamish, WA. area you may not want to stop reading. I can't tell this story without spoilers -- though I will leave out as many specific details as I can.

My wife and I went on our first geocaching adventure yesterday -- and we loved it! We picked four caches in our area and found them all! After we retrieved our first cache we called our daughter and she was very excited for us -- anything that will get old Mom and Dad off the couch is a good thing in her book. We told her about finding the cache and when she asked what was in the container I said (from the passenger seat), "Toys". Somehow, my daughter heard something else and she immediately shot back: "It was full of DRUGS?! That wasn't a geocache!! You need to get out of there RIGHT NOW!" We laughed about that one for awhile. ;-)

But this is really a story about our second cache, titled: "825 228". The GPS coordinates lead us to a library, though my wife had already figured out to look for a building at 825 228th Avenue. The description of the cache was pretty vague so we entered the library with no idea where to look. I headed over to check out some books while my wife scoped out the front desk. She had it in her head that the cache was behind the desk so she kept walking near it, trying to sneak peeks. The staff seemed to be getting a little nervous because she looked super guilty. ;-)

Fortunately, I figured something out in the description and after a little searching I located the cache in a fake book (!). I motioned for my wife to join me. There were muggles around so we picked up our precious cargo and scurried to the back of the library to open it. We found an empty meeting room and took it in there but just as we were trying to figure out the combination lock on the side a woman came by with her daughter. They looked in at us and we just kind of froze up. You have to picture the scene. It's a big open room with a single table in the middle. My wife is sitting in front of what appears to be a normal library book on the table and I'm standing over her shoulder. We're just staring at it with incredibly intense looks... like we can't figure out how to get it open or something. After a good ten seconds -- which felt like 10 minutes -- I finally turned to the woman and stammered, "Uh... did you reserve this room?" The woman shook her head and she ushered her daughter away from the two crazy people.

We got the book open, traded treasures, signed the log book and returned it to the shelf.

Leaving the library we actually got a case of the giggles. I can't tell you the last time happened. When we got to the car we burst out laughing. What a memorable experience!

We had some lunch and then found two more caches before heading home. We left the TV audio on for the dogs and would you believe it -- the channel we were on was having an Indiana Jones marathon! We watched the marathon while I grilled some steaks and poured two glasses of a yummy Pinot Noir from a local vineyard. What a great day!

Edited by CutterCachers

Pulled an ammo box from among some rocks yesterday. Primary concern was rattlesnakes as a pile like that is a rattlesnake palace, but must have been just cool enough they were were still in hiding - though not for much longer.

Coast was clear when I pulled out the box from the hide - a little twist to opening it, but no worries there. Some neat swag, so I traded a hand full of crazy bones and got it all put together and the rocks arranged to look natural as I heard voices approaching .. look down at my day pack and the log book is sitting on top. D'oh!

Pull some snacks from my pack and wait out the muggles. Get the box out of the hide, again, get it opened and then look at the log book to make sure I did indeed sign it.

Muggles again! Quickly close the box, tuck it away, arrange all the rocks to look natural .. look down at my day pack .. D'oh! Log book goes in cache, Stoopid!

Wait out muggles, AGAIN, pull out box, open box, PUT log book in box, close box, hide AGAIN with all rocks looking natural.

By now a rattlesnake could have come up so I check all around before hoisting my pack, but coast clear and I'm finally out of there.

Pulled an ammo box from among some rocks yesterday. Primary concern was rattlesnakes as a pile like that is a rattlesnake palace, but must have been just cool enough they were were still in hiding - though not for much longer.

Coast was clear when I pulled out the box from the hide - a little twist to opening it, but no worries there. Some neat swag, so I traded a hand full of crazy bones and got it all put together and the rocks arranged to look natural as I heard voices approaching .. look down at my day pack and the log book is sitting on top. D'oh!

Pull some snacks from my pack and wait out the muggles. Get the box out of the hide, again, get it opened and then look at the log book to make sure I did indeed sign it.

Muggles again! Quickly close the box, tuck it away, arrange all the rocks to look natural .. look down at my day pack .. D'oh! Log book goes in cache, Stoopid!

Wait out muggles, AGAIN, pull out box, open box, PUT log book in box, close box, hide AGAIN with all rocks looking natural.

By now a rattlesnake could have come up so I check all around before hoisting my pack, but coast clear and I'm finally out of there.

The Rattlesnake was a few feet away laughing it's rattles off. :laughing:

someone had taken the time to hoist the ammo can AT LEAST 30 feet up this tall tree

I have a climbing tree stand which I used to place an ammo can 40' up a palm tree. Obviously, being a palm, it had no branches. I wove a chain through the fronds at the top and affixed the can with a carbiner. And still someone managed to steal it. (though they left the chain)

By now a rattlesnake could have come up so I check all around before hoisting my pack

I was building a Wherigo/puzzle/multi/night cache combo, and after hiding the 5th stage, deep in a swampy locale, I bushwhack my way out to a trail and commence hoofing it back to my car. I saw a fairly large water moccasin hiding in a strip of bush betwixt the trail and the river it follows, and wanted a picture. I set my CamelBak down, and eased the snake out of the bush, at which point she bit my backpack. :blink:

Wow Cutter! Havent heard of anything like that before...I have wondered before if it would be possible to have an indoor hide...guess I got my answer!

Sounds like you are off to a great start...that one looked like a challenge!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Snakes!! Why did it have to be snakes???? We have only seen little garters so far. :)

Wow Cutter! Havent heard of anything like that before...I have wondered before if it would be possible to have an indoor hide...guess I got my answer!

Sounds like you are off to a great start...that one looked like a challenge!

I took a look at the cache listing for the cache that Cutter described and, unless I'm missing something, it probably would not be published today. It was listed as an unknown cache (as most indoor caches would be) and that the published coordinates were for the parking lot. The puzzle was about as easy as it gets to locate the cache but it does not appear that it required the use of a GPS beyond using them to find the parking lot (and the cache description was a enough to do that). There is a guideline that stipulates that the use of a GPS must be integral to finding the cache and other caches which only provided the coordinates for a parking lot for a building that one had to enter to find the cache have not been published.

That said, I think it's great for a new cacher to be able to find a cache that is a bit "out of the box" as it really enforces the idea that cache hiders can get pretty creative in how they hide caches and tells new cachers that the might have to think outside the box a bit to find them.

<<It was listed as an unknown cache (as most indoor caches would be) and that the published coordinates were for the parking lot.>>

Actually, the name of the cache is "825 228" and the parking lot is at 825 228th Avenue. So we didn't really need a GPS for this one at all.

That said, it was not easy (many people have had to ask the library staff for clues), but it was amazingly fun! Some of the logs have said things like, "Of 350 caches found, this is our favorite!" So I'm glad that it got published, even if it didn't adhere to the rules. ;-)