Geo Caching Coordinates

chlombra

I need some help. I don't even really know how to ask my question because I don't really know if these are coordinates. Here goes anyways. When I'm on geocaching.com and I select a geo cache there are a series of letters and numbers at the top right of the screen on the computer for the cache. An example of one is GC1VZHA and another is GC2HWNQ....What are these??? Are they another form of coordinates. If they are how do I go about inputing them onto my Oregon GPS? Any help on this would be appreciated. I have been wondering about those for a while now and I can't seem to find an answer because I'm not sure how to inquire about them. Thank you.

Revision to this question: I totally asked this question wrong and implied that I didn't have any idea about coordinates at all. :lol: I know how to download the cache info to my GPS and input coordinates individually when I need them. I was just inquiring about the Geo Codes as I have just found out through some of you. Thank you so much.

Edited by chlombra01

I need some help. I don't even really know how to ask my question because I don't really know if these are coordinates. Here goes anyways. When I'm on geocaching.com and I select a geo cache there are a series of letters and numbers at the top right of the screen on the computer for the cache. An example of one is GC1VZHA and another is GC2HWNQ....What are these??? Are they another form of coordinates. If they are how do I go about inputing them onto my Oregon GPS? Any help on this would be appreciated. I have been wondering about those for a while now and I can't seem to find an answer because I'm not sure how to inquire about them. Thank you.

Those aren't coordinates, those are GC codes; a specific ID number assigned to each geocache. They won't help you find the cache once you're looking for it, but you can use the numbers for reference or to help you remember which cache was which.

The coordinates are near the top of the listing and will look something like N39 00.123, W123 22.456

After a year? How have you been loading caches in your gps and finding them until now?

Have you been using the PQ's as suggested in your thread of last year:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=275743

Don't mean to be rude, but it seems like an odd thing to ask about after all this time.

B.

After a year? How have you been loading caches in your gps and finding them until now?

Have you been using the PQ's as suggested in your thread of last year:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=275743

Don't mean to be rude, but it seems like an odd thing to ask about after all this time.

B.

Its ok. Its not rude. I said I wasn't sure how to ask this question. I know how to load the coordinates into my gps. I either send it to my gps from the site or if I have to individually input coordinates, I can do that as well. I have just always wondered what those GC codes were. I wasn't sure if they were way points or something.

Thank you for your help.

Its ok. Its not rude. I said I wasn't sure how to ask this question. I know how to load the coordinates into my gps. I either send it to my gps from the site or if I have to individually input coordinates, I can do that as well. I have just always wondered what those GC codes were. I wasn't sure if they were way points or something.

Thank you for your help.

They are waypoint names, a standardized and unique name for eache cache. There could be hundreds of caches with the same cache name (search on the name A Walk in the Park), but

there will be only one GCA34E