Geocaching on holiday

Bit of a silly question this , but just to ease my worries. When traveling abroad is there any sort of restrictions on taking GPS units on a plane or do they have to be in your suitcase or do you just treat them like mobile phones and just turn them off and keep it in your hand luggage ?

They are fine as hand luggage. I personally would not put anything valuable in the hold. Some airlines will allow you to turn it on when you are on the air, it's not often you wll travel at 600 mph. When you arrive the unit may take a little to settle and find out where it is so turn it on and leave it in view of the sky for a little while. Have a good holiday.

Bit of a silly question this , but just to ease my worries. When traveling abroad is there any sort of restrictions on taking GPS units on a plane or do they have to be in your suitcase or do you just treat them like mobile phones and just turn them off and keep it in your hand luggage ?

Anything of value goes in my hand luggage. Sometimes the staff on board will let you turn it on, sometimes they won't. There's no real reason not to allow it but every once in a while you get some jobsworth who is concerned "for security reasons", which usually means they don't like the idea but can't come up with any specific reason to disallow it so fall back on the old favourite.

When they tell you to turn off all electronic devices that obviously includes a GPS.

Some of the airlines list GPS receivers as one of the allowed electronic devices (excluding takeoff/landing of course), so if you want to use it on board check the magazine.

I've occasionally used mine on a flight. I've been asked about it by the flight attendants twice. The first time she asked me if it was a GPS and I said yes; her response was "that's cool". The second time I was told that that specific airline did not allow GPS receivers to be used.

I remember when I flew in 2005 I went to the back of the plane (where I could get nearer the window) and turned by GPS on. A stewardess asked if it was a GPS and said she wasn't sure if they were allowed, so I said I'd turn it off while she asked the captain. Within a few moments she came back and said it was OK.

Another flight with the same airline they told me categorically it wasn't allowed.

These days I spend most of the time in the air sleeping and the novelty of seeing "Max speed 695mph" has worn off so I don't bother with it any more.

Put a cache as close to the airport you are flying to into your GPS and set yourself to route to it. That way, you can see how long its going to be (roughly) until you land.

I did also enjoy looking at where I was on the map and how fast I was travelling. I had mine on during take off and landing to try and understand the speed required for take off fully loaded (180mph)

This might sound like a daft question but why would you have it on whilst in flight? Is it just to see the speed you are traveling at?

I like to know where I am. Usually when I'm flying I look out of the window and thing "what's that town there?" and I don't know, with GPS I'd know:)