Adding maps to SD card.

Here is the situation. I have two Garmin 60CSx's, one is newer than the other, and more accurate. The older one has CN 2010 and US Topo 2008. I was able to put both on that particular GPSr, because I have both maps on DVD. When I got the newer GPSr, it came with CN NT 2011.1 on the SD card. I want to add Topo to this GPSr. I know if I try and add using Mapsource, it will wipe out the maps on the SD card. If I put all the maps onto Mapsource, can I then re-add the maps (CN NT 2011 and Topo) back on to the SD card?? The card with the CN NT 2011 is a 2gb SD card. I only really want to add the topo maps for PA.

If the City Navigator was preloaded to the microSD card by Garmin then that map is locked to the serial number of the microSD card. You can only use that map on that card but in any Garmin GPS that will accept external memory. There is no (easy) way to get this map into MapSource.

If the City Navigator map was generated by MapSource (i.e. CD version) then the map is locked to the serial number of one GPS. You can put it on any MicoSD card but it will only work on the GPS that it was unlocked to. You can rename the .img map file and copy it to another microSD card along with the Topo US map file.

The SD card is locked to the GPSr that it currently resides in. I just want to add Topo to it. The card will stay in the GPSr that it is locked to. I was hoping I could just open up Mapsource on my PC and with the GPSr connected, add all the 2011 maps to a file which also has the Topo maps I want. Then, just add everything back onto the SD card. The CN maps would be going back to the same card in the same GPSr they came from. Seems do able, but I don't want to wipe out the SD card and be left with nothing.

I was hoping I could just open up Mapsource on my PC and with the GPSr connected, add all the 2011 maps to a file which also has the Topo maps I want. Then, just add everything back onto the SD card.

You can't take the CN2011 from the card and put it into MapSource. You can put the TOPO's on a different datacard and then swap the two cards when you want to change maps.

You don't say which way the map got on the card and that makes a huge difference.

If you bought it used and the previous owner installed it from a dvd you can add the topo to it. You should copy the file off to your computer and then rename the one on the card.

If it is a stand alone sdcard from garmin you will have to do the two card route.

The SD card is locked to the GPSr that it currently resides in. I just want to add Topo to it. The card will stay in the GPSr that it is locked to. I was hoping I could just open up Mapsource on my PC and with the GPSr connected, add all the 2011 maps to a file which also has the Topo maps I want. Then, just add everything back onto the SD card. The CN maps would be going back to the same card in the same GPSr they came from. Seems do able, but I don't want to wipe out the SD card and be left with nothing.

By “Locked” I did not mean physically locked. I meant software security locked so it can be used on only one GPS or on one microSD card depending on how the map was put on the memory card.