Tracks on my GPS 62s

Hi all

Have a very hard time with my 62s

I proceed from my house (with unit turned off), to the position where I wish to start the track.

Turn on the unit,

Here is the issue. A "track line" is showing from the house to the start of the track has been added on to the track. Also, even though I had turned the unit off at the end of the track (after saving it) - the track also shows a direct line from end of track position to the house!

How do I stop these "extra" beginning and end sections being present

my old GpsMap 60st never did this do hope garmin will fix thie issue

anyhelp would be great

thanks

LWM

I noticed this too. I believe it began after a recent firmware update, v.3.90 perhaps? This did not happen earlier I can say for sure. But I HAVE changed settings within 'Setup/Tracks/Auto Archive' recently to switch between choices of 'When Full', 'Daily', or 'Weekly' so this may be a possible reason this happens. I forget which setting I used when not seeing this looping of tracks.

I sent in a question/report to Garmin's Product Support yesterday and await their reply, which I'll share here when I receive an answer.

This is a good reason but!

As pointed out if you clear the tracks when you start out that will get rid of the first straight line, then when you finish save the track so that it's a record of what you want. The alternative as suggested is to use a program to delete the straight line at the end ... Garmin's Basecamp will do it as will many other programs.

Using Basecamp can not seam to find how to delete that point! from where i turned it on Home, then off and when i drove miles turned it on again.

just that point basecamp delete all the tracks.

so i have to go to mapsauce first, it dose load the track and then delete just that point great then save has a gpx load to basecamp

any ideas on this one

thanks

LWM

Just got a rely from Garmin it said

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I'll be happy to help with this.

I would suggest clearing the track log at the start of each hike. This can be done by:

1. Go to the Trip Computer page

2. Press the Menu key

3. Select Reset

4. Select Clear Current Track and choose Yes.

If you've already tried this, you may also want to double check that the software in your 62s is up to date. Our Webupdater application can do this: http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

Let us know if you need further assistance.

just have to remember to do this

LWM

Hi found a better idea from a forum called GpsfileDepot!

it said

"Assuming it's like my Oregon and Montana.... first, disable tracking in the setup menu (do not record). Then use the track manager to clear the current track. Now when you get to the spot where you want to begin, turn tracking back on (record, show on map). When finished, save the track and turn tracking off again (do not record).

If you didn't do that, you would have a line from the last location to the new location when you turn the unit on. But I don't understand the line at the end of the track. Once you have saved the track, I wouldn't expect it to change."

Still think it is better not to have this idea.

thanks

lWM

I received the same answer as LWM got from Garmin about clearing the track. I tried a few things in the mean time and found this. If I change the archive settings within Setup/Tracks/Auto Archive to 'Daily', the tracks are not joined between start and end points. I suppose the only downside is this setting creates lots of track .gpx files in your Archive folder. On a trial run this morning I had 4 separate archived tracks with today's date. No problem for me!

That is specifically why I always / only "archive daily". Previous models had that choice also when "saving track to card", but when newer models came out it wasn't available at first, but was

added later.

If you have your GPS turned on let's say at home, in the house or outside while you're sitting fiddling with it, it will constantly be logging unimportant, non useful points all the time it's on. OK, now let's say you turn it off after an hour of fiddling with it at home, and don't turn it back on until the next day. Archived daily, the previous day's archived file (gpx) will be nothing but random garbage points.....Go into the Archive folder every once in a while (monthly?) and delete it/them.

Literally just think of it like a ball of string in your back pocket that unrolls as you move.

"Archiving" or " Clearing the track" cuts the string.

Archiving Daily (the GPS unit automatically) cuts the string at the end of every day, all movements During that day are attached.

Archiving Weekly ( the GPS unit)cuts the string at the end of the week but all movements during that week are connected.

"Clearing" the track log cuts the string at any time YOU choose and disconnects your present position from all previous movement all the way back to the point in time when your unit "auto archived"

Yes,yes, I know that the user can turn "track logging" off but that's really not the best practice.

Just leave "logging" ON, archive Daily, and clear it's brains whenever you desire.

If you forget and occasionally still get one of those lines, with almost any GPS computer software, you can also just cut/break the connecting straight line and it will disappear. If you will notice, there really aren't any track points along that line between where you turned the unit off and where you turned it back on. Just a connecting line between two separate points in time.

That is specifically why I always / only "archive daily". Previous models had that choice also when "saving track to card", but when newer models came out it wasn't available at first, but was

added later.

If you have your GPS turned on let's say at home, in the house or outside while you're sitting fiddling with it, it will constantly be logging unimportant, non useful points all the time it's on. OK, now let's say you turn it off after an hour of fiddling with it at home, and don't turn it back on until the next day. Archived daily, the previous day's archived file (gpx) will be nothing but random garbage points.....Go into the Archive folder every once in a while (monthly?) and delete it/them.

Literally just think of it like a ball of string in your back pocket that unrolls as you move.

"Archiving" or " Clearing the track" cuts the string.

Archiving Daily (the GPS unit automatically) cuts the string at the end of every day, all movements During that day are attached.

Archiving Weekly ( the GPS unit)cuts the string at the end of the week but all movements during that week are connected.

"Clearing" the track log cuts the string at any time YOU choose and disconnects your present position from all previous movement all the way back to the point in time when your unit "auto archived"

Yes,yes, I know that the user can turn "track logging" off but that's really not the best practice.

Just leave "logging" ON, archive Daily, and clear it's brains whenever you desire.

If you forget and occasionally still get one of those lines, with almost any GPS computer software, you can also just cut/break the connecting straight line and it will disappear. If you will notice, there really aren't any track points along that line between where you turned the unit off and where you turned it back on. Just a connecting line between two separate points in time.

Thanks this is a go idea also

will try this

LWM

I've been clearing the track log at the start of a trip and "saving" the track log at the end of a trip. That gets me a clean start and end, but I notice that "saving" and "archiving" aren't the same thing. What's the difference?

"Saving" takes a snapshot of what ever is in "Current Track" (at that moment) and saves it, into internal memory, as a gpx file. Understand that that info is still/continues to be "ongoing" in the archive file.(both movement before and after the "save")

At the end of whatever AutoArchive period you've chosen on the unit, it automatically takes what is in the Current Track log and automatically takes it out of Current Log and stores it in a gpx file in Archives folder by date.

Note that the "Clear Current Log" would affect both.

Now here's a different kind of Archiving......you can Archive a track on your unit. That just takes it out of the visible list on the unit when you go to Track Mgr, so you don't have to scroll thru so many.You can move it back and forth between Archived and the list. Sometimes some of the viewing properties get changed in the process.