What is an offset cache?

hidenseek581

According to Geocache Types: "An offset cache (where you go to a location and get hints to the actual cache) is considered a Multi-Cache."

Sometimes, the "hints" have been a distance and bearing from an object at ground zero. Sometimes, the "hints" have been values to be added/subtracted from the decimal minutes of the posted coordinates. Sometimes the "hints" have been something else.

But a log that says the cache is "offset to the NE" seems to indicate "soft" (that is, bad) coordinates on a traditional cache.

Here are the comments about the cache, that I thought meant it was an offset cache. Do "official" offset caches usually say how much they are offset? I can't tell if this is a "official" offset, or comments mean that it is just "off".

Description: Micro cache is offset from the center of the redwood grove but reachable from within the park.

From recent logs: Found with help of some prior logs. According to our compass, offset direction is NE. AND ANOTHER: I'd already DNF'd at least three times before (typically due to not realizing it's an offset cache)

niraD - you may know this cache: The Forgotten Flying Redwoods in PA.

If it's listed as a traditional cache (and not listed as a multi-cache), then it's not an official offset. With the site down right now, I can't look up the cache in question, but my guess is it's not an official offset multi-cache.

A typical official offset multi-cache would tell you explicitly in the description that you're going to this location not to find the actual cache, but to find information that you will use (usually in solving a puzzle that's in the description) which will give you the coordinates to the actual cache.

Some really old caches are grandfathered in with wrong coordinates - for example I found one where the coordinates provided were for a trailhead parking lot, and then buried deep in the description were the coordinates to the actual cache. I suppose that could also be called an "offset" cache (albeit not official).

If it's listed as a traditional cache (and not listed as a multi-cache), then it's not an official offset. With the site down right now, I can't look up the cache in question, but my guess is it's not an official offset multi-cache.

Now that the site is back up, we can see that it is indeed an "offset" listed as a Traditional. One log mentions it being 65 feet away from the coordinates. It looks like many have had problems finding this one due to the mis-leading cache type. The owner really needs to update the coordinates to point to the cache. The way it is right now, it's just confusing people.

ETA: Also, with fully 20% of the logs being DNFs on what sounds like a fairly easy find, you'd think the owner would realize there was something wrong with their cache. :rolleyes:

Edited by The A-Team

Yeah, I found that one a few years ago. Upon rereading my log, it looks like the cache isn't really a traditional cache, as traditional caches are currently understood. However, it was hidden in 2003, and it isn't the only "traditional" cache from back then that wouldn't be listed as a traditional cache today.